Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 03-16-2021, 07:29 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX IO Delays

Hi. Since this thread is already stuck, i'll augment with some MTRX Studio resources I've been compiling. Hope they are helpful to folks.

MTRX Studio Knowledge Resource

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
96kHz: MTRX: AD -> DA, Hardware Insert Delay = 0.51ms
For me, 0.47ms seems to be the magic number for (the closest) nulling at 96kHz using a MTRX AD -> DA loop. The 48kHz numbers seem to be right. System delay in DADman is 5 samples.

AES loop numbers were also different but, presumably this is the transceiver delay in the effect unit itself.

Rant: the MTRX is super-flexible but the lack of integration between Pro Tools and DADman is a real workflow killer compared to using the HD I/Os, where things just work; particularly for those of us that are changing between sample rates multiple times per day. It makes me nervous using any insert in parallel.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:08 AM
Avid

Yes, I agree and am pushing internally to improve the automation of these workflows with MTRX family products.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-10-2021, 12:43 PM
Avid

Here's a link to our last Coffee & Consoles session where we discussed how to get the most out of MTRX and MTRX Studio interfaces:

Avid Coffee & Consoles: MTRX & MTRX Studio

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-28-2022, 05:29 AM
Avid

Here's a new resource that combines MTRX and MTRX Studio devices into a single clickable application resource:

MTRX Family Resource

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-15-2023, 09:47 PM

Jeff,

From the MTRX operation guide (which has this chart but weirdly the MTRX Studio starts with the same text but has no chart), do you know what the second Dante numbers represents? Is one the module and one the card for Dante? The numbers seem weirdly fixed higher for one set.
(Also, the numbers are not explained in the text for the chart for why Dante has 2 sets and what each belongs to. I know the module is the Brooklyn II chipset. I have no idea what chipset the Dante add-on card uses and I wonder if the upcoming Brooklyn III chipsets, which the last MTRX firmware supports, will have different numbers. Add to all of that the SRC support on the add-on card which expands possible delays unless that is always fixed with or without.)
I've also wondered if the MADI modules (with transceivers), the built-in MADI, or the MADI add-on card have different delay numbers? Same for AES on chassis vs AES on the add-on card that has SRC possible? Maybe you can get Jan from DAD to chime in?

From a user-standpoint, though the MTRX has no options in Pro Tools hardware setup (since all of it is controlled by DADman), with the end of the HD interfaces, it'd be great (since some of these numbers are fixed) that there was a checkbox of options to tell Pro Tools what was in use by the MTRX for compensation. Taking the load off of users to figure this out and therefore allowing a more seamless compensation system. There or in I/O setup. (though, at this point, Pro Tools should have a manually key-able place, in samples, to correct for varying hardware since besides the MTRX, there are more modular choices out there. And not just inserts.)
Old 01-25-2023, 05:17 AM
Avid

I agree with all of your thoughts. The chipset on the Dante-128 expansion for MTRX is IP Core. Standby as we fill in some of the gaps and explain some of the latency numbers.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-25-2023, 08:14 AM

I just realized that could be sub-samples written the European way and then formatted accidentally in an American way. That would explain the strange consistency as it is actually 1/4 sample and 1/2 sample.
So:
"39, 25" = "39,25" = "39.25"
Old 01-30-2023, 08:27 AM
Avid

Yes, confirmed, this chart indicates 1/4 and 1/2 sample latency values via a European decimal convention.

best,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Jeff,

From the MTRX operation guide (which has this chart but weirdly the MTRX Studio starts with the same text but has no chart), do you know what the second Dante numbers represents? Is one the module and one the card for Dante? The numbers seem weirdly fixed higher for one set.
(Also, the numbers are not explained in the text for the chart for why Dante has 2 sets and what each belongs to. I know the module is the Brooklyn II chipset. I have no idea what chipset the Dante add-on card uses and I wonder if the upcoming Brooklyn III chipsets, which the last MTRX firmware supports, will have different numbers. Add to all of that the SRC support on the add-on card which expands possible delays unless that is always fixed with or without.)
I've also wondered if the MADI modules (with transceivers), the built-in MADI, or the MADI add-on card have different delay numbers? Same for AES on chassis vs AES on the add-on card that has SRC possible? Maybe you can get Jan from DAD to chime in?

From a user-standpoint, though the MTRX has no options in Pro Tools hardware setup (since all of it is controlled by DADman), with the end of the HD interfaces, it'd be great (since some of these numbers are fixed) that there was a checkbox of options to tell Pro Tools what was in use by the MTRX for compensation. Taking the load off of users to figure this out and therefore allowing a more seamless compensation system. There or in I/O setup. (though, at this point, Pro Tools should have a manually key-able place, in samples, to correct for varying hardware since besides the MTRX, there are more modular choices out there. And not just inserts.)
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-30-2023, 07:51 PM

Thanks. Weird the space was added (which is not the European way)