Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Could someone give me a good example of...

How about using reverb and compression as inserts on the source track, not an aux send. Choose a reverb plug which allows wet/dry mix so the entire sound isn't wet with reverb. To illustrate the importance of plugin order, radically compress a reverberated sound; then reverberate a compressed sound. Another might be radical equalization, high freq cut for for example, of a reverated sound; then reverberate the eq'd signal. A repeating delay and short reverb might be two other effects which could illustrate your point.

There will be better suggestions to follow, I'll bet, but this might get your students started.

Best of luck,

John Caldwell
Old 01-10-2002, 02:31 PM

If you have Ampfarm, put a chorus or flanger both before and after the Ampfarm - it should be a big difference! At least distortion before and after chorus in a guitar chain makes a big difference.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:10 PM

This is for educational purposes right ... so here is an obvious demo.

Distortion then Delay ....

Use a long delay with say 5 repeats the successive delays will all be distorted.

easy,

then Delay followed by Distortion...( an Amp Farm, Sans Amp sort of distortion not a Sample Aliasing sort of one with no threashold).

each successive delay will be less distorted.

Now point out that the Distortion is a volume dependant effect like Comp, Gates, Saturation etc ...

To demonstrate Limiter then Compressor and Comp/Limit is a little more subtle even before you get into attack release.

good luck
Old 01-11-2002, 12:51 AM

Default Could someone give me a good example of...

How the order of plug-ins can affect the sound?

Here's the deal. I'm teaching an advanced audio class. These students have already done some basic stuff in Pro Tools in a prerequisite class (Radio Production), but they never worked with plug-ins at all. I'm I'm introducing them to TDM plug-ins next week, and I want them to understand the nature and importance of how multiple plugs cascade from top to bottom.

What I'm looking for is this: I want them to understand that the sequence the sound goes through can be critically important so I'm looking for an example where I could use two plug-ins, but alternate which comes first with a resulting dramatic difference in the sound. In other words, I don't want them to think that the order of the plug-ins isn't important; that you can use them in any order and get the same result.

I know of a few examples, but I'm wondering if somebody could suggest a really dramatic one (college-aged kids often ignore anything subtle as unimportant - they need big, dramatic in-your-face examples before the point get's through).

Thanks in advance!
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2002, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I tried all of them out this morning and I'm going to use all of them in class. Making the point several different ways should make it obvious to all but the most clueless!