Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 AM

Default Dear Digidesign, Please steal this Nuendo feature!

The ability to take an audio region in a playlist and adjust its amplitude up or down. The gain change happens before the insert section. Like elastic audio but for amplitude, not time.

I can get Melodyne to do this, but it would be fantastic as a built in feature. Imagine smoothing out rough dynamic differences in a vocal performance BEFORE hitting a compressor/limiter.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned in the "what feature would you like to see" post. Too many pages to read.

Back to work.

- Borg

@FoxMtnStudio
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Dear Digidesign, Please steal this Nuendo feature!

I second this! PLEASE PLEASE do this! clip-based volume would be very useful indeed, particularly for ICON mixers like me....
Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 AM

I third this! Small stuff I miss (well, i don't entirely as I still use Nuendo for tracking when I can) I'm still crossing my fingers for a keycommand for track record enable or a preference option for "track record enable follows track selection"
Old 05-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The ability to take an audio region in a playlist and adjust its amplitude up or down.
Audiosuite ---> gain. Am I missing something here?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The ability to take an audio region in a playlist and adjust its amplitude up or down.
And what happens when you want to adjust it by another few tenths? More destructive DSP written to disk? I think not. And what about when you need get back to the original, it's buried in the bin.

Clip based would be realtime and done by the App not the cards. This is probably the reason they haven't done it by now.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Yeah you could, its a workflow thing. Once using it you would see - its simply quicker and doesn't create a new audio file. You know, less clicks to achieve the desired results the better But it IS a very simple thing, I use gain in PT to supplement, but if you have a buddy that has cubase or Nuendo, try it out you'll see what we mean.

Imagine chopping a voice over into separate regions and just going through "leveling" at the region level - you know - quieter passages bring up in volume, louder do the opposite, etc. And that level being tied to the region not the track. Imagine if that was 40 parts - do you really want to create 40 separate files via gain, or listen to one region at a time then processing vs. just playing the track, leveling and listening to how they all gel together (this is not the same as track based automation btw.)
Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Clip based would be realtime and done by the App not the cards. This is probably the reason they haven't done it by now.
That makes sense, but I hope thats not the reason that people are missing out on stuff like this. I mean, its just gain automation, we're not asking them to allow us to use region based effects (like Sonar, its a nice feature, at times), just region based automation on gain. This should be pretty easy to code, and doesn't require use of the audio suite or DSP, its the automation they already provide, just on different type of object (track vs. region).
Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 PM

I've been asking for this for years. Even talked with digi developers directly. Maybe some day
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-01-2008, 01:04 PM

until they implement this feature, you could insert a trim plugin before the others and automate that...
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
until they implement this feature, you could insert a trim plugin before the others and automate that...
Hmm, I like that one actually, I WILL use that!

Still, with the automation being at the region level for that task (if one chooses to do so) would enhance the product greatly, I can drop the region on a different track and the automation still be there regardless of where I dropped it on a track (different one) or even the timeline. It would be a nice addition to PT workflow.