Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Default D Command or Euphonix Artist series?

We want to replace one of our Pro Controls and were wondering if a D Command or Artist Series Modular was the way to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Default Re: D Command or Euphonix Artist series?

artist is obviously a cheaper set up but the icon is more integrated with a larger feature set.

The problem I have is "will the new avid pull the rug out from under the icon and discontinue it along with support for future versions of protools?"

The icon does sit in between the artist and the mc5 but this doesnt mean avid will continue the icon system moving forward. A good sign would be eucon support for the icon. This would show commitment to the platform moving forward and people would feel it a safe buy.

I think the icon has a install base of 30k

Thats pretty amazing. However I dont feel that the top brass at avid care about their users above short term profits for wallstreet. So I could see them making a 15k to 60k eucon console and attempt to get those 30k icon desks to pay up to new eucon consoles.

Only time will tell. Myself? I'm surrounded by icon so I am going to pick up one used. Hopefully I wont get burned. I dont care about the item depreciating, it is digital after all... I care about losing support in future versions of protools.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM

A D-Command budget and an Artist budget are enormously different, as is the amount of physical space you'd need to house them, so I think you need to start there.

As far as functionality goes, I don't know that I'm quicker on one vs. the other. Each has different advantages.

From a client's perspective, a D-Command is much more professional looking.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
A D-Command budget and an Artist budget are enormously different, as is the amount of physical space you'd need to house them, so I think you need to start there.

As far as functionality goes, I don't know that I'm quicker on one vs. the other. Each has different advantages.

From a client's perspective, a D-Command is much more professional looking.
Does the Artist Series or one of the modular series control VEP Pro?

Space isn't an issue and I'm aware of the cost difference. I just planned on getting a D Command, but am a bit worried about future integration/support after reading a few things on the DUC. The whole upgrade cost for PT 10 HD/TDM has made me apprehensive for the 1st time with ProTools after using it for 15 years....
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Does the Artist Series or one of the modular series control VEP Pro?

Space isn't an issue and I'm aware of the cost difference. I just planned on getting a D Command, but am a bit worried about future integration/support after reading a few things on the DUC. The whole upgrade cost for PT 10 HD/TDM has made me apprehensive for the 1st time with ProTools after using it for 15 years....
And that is the long term damage done by the ceo and his people in a attempt to gain some short term success on wallstreet.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
The whole upgrade cost for PT 10 HD/TDM has made me apprehensive for the 1st time with ProTools after using it for 15 years....
There is an alarming number of professionals which feel the same way. I'm closing in on 20 years with Digi/Avid and I've never before seen such animosity and disdain for this company. I know of large, established studios which have ceased investing deeper into ProTools because of this new business model. I imagine that your question is tougher to answer because of this. Will you find yourself getting screwed in the future? For the first time you have to truly consider this.