Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-11-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Watch out Itunes music store....

Looks like gates is just around the corner with his own version.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9941
Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Watch out Itunes music store....

I dont know for sure, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like microsoft could be offering incentives for big labels to sign up with them. As much as i would like to partake in the success of itunes on the pc, microsoft could be on the verge of destroying it.

If microsoft does what they do 99% of the time, that means they are going behind closed doors, and apples back, making a deal with the big labels with big stars, gonna steal away apples success by catering to big stars and dropping the bomb on indies, have microsoft tunes installed on every windows machine that comes out the door with a 100 free downloads if you sign the contract, that makes it hard to uninstall microsoft tunes, that makes it hard to install itunes, yada yada yada yada. This is really gonna piss me off if micorosft is catering to big labels.

The 2 best things about itunes are, 1. its a working online music distribution store, and 2. it works for indies as hard as it works for big labels, so there is no drowning out the indies from making it to market. If MS is doing what i think they are doing the labels may kick itunes to the curb for the offer ms is offering them.

Christian
Old 06-11-2003, 03:10 PM

I'm not so convinced it's Microsoft pandering to the majors so much as the majors seeing a cash cow they can take advantage of. Microsoft has deep pockets and the majors know that. They probably want to take Microsoft for everything they can.

When Windows Media Player 9 came out, Bill Gates said it was a half a billion dollar product, most of that going for the licensing, leading me to believe that when companies see Microsoft coming, they jack up their prices knowing Microsoft will always be able to pay.

The really sad part about this is that what makes iTunes work so well is their encription - it sounds more comparable to a CD, and I question Microsoft's ability to create encription and compression that is as good as iTunes.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:10 PM

I'd bet on MS doing whatever it takes to dominate this field. They are slime, and there's no limit to what they'll do to win.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:29 PM

Of course, had Apple released a Windows version at or near the same time as the Mac version, this would all be a mute point as Apple could have had a quick market domination. But unfortunately, Apple has decided to drag their feet with this.

Then again, maybe that was the plan from the beginning: push the idea out and let Apple have their niche market proving that it works, with Windows following up to the masses. Kinda seems that Apple doesn't want to step on M$ toes.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:55 PM

By mfym
Quote:
The really sad part about this is that what makes iTunes work so well is their encription - it sounds more comparable to a CD, and I question Microsoft's ability to create encription and compression that is as good as iTunes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. I am not sure exactly what you mean. The technologies used in the Apple store are MPEG-4 and, most importantly for audio, AAC encoding. Neither one of those was developed by Apple. Both AAC and MPEG-4 are available for anyone to license and develop. I can do it. You can do it. Microsoft can do it.

On a personal note, I have always hated the sound of MP3's. AAC is definitely better than MP3's, but NOT anywhere near to a CD in my opinion. Also, just wanted to clear up that Apple does also have a deal with all major labels for the Apple store. I think what crs117 fears is a backroom deal wherein Microsoft would get a better deal from the majors if they don't support independents. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose, but I highly doubt this would ever happen.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I think what crs117 fears is a backroom deal wherein Microsoft would get a better deal from the majors if they don't support independents. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose, but I highly doubt this would ever happen.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well I think his fears are very well founded. Big industry is big industry, and if microsoft and the big lables are working together, of course they could easily come up with a service that both can make a lot of money off of. Microsoft says we want as much popular music as we can get, Labels say, ok we will give you all of our big artists tracks to use, but of course we would get royalties, now since we are giving you these artists we want to make sure that all of this other "stuff" that isn't up to our standard isn't on there. Microsoft says ok, I can easily make several million off of your artists, and would only make a couple grand off of these artists, sure I will drop the small artists, and everyone is happy with big industry dominating the world
Old 06-12-2003, 02:10 AM

The funny thing alot of people didn't think what Apple is doing would work.

The music biz doesn't trust MS.
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-983017.html?tag=nl

People in the music biz feel that Steve Jobs is on the same side as the since he is CEO of Pixar.

I can only see this as good for the music biz. With or without Apple.

Wiz
Old 06-12-2003, 04:18 AM

By Calvin
Quote:
Microsoft says we want as much popular music as we can get, Labels say, ok we will give you all of our big artists tracks to use, but of course we would get royalties, now since we are giving you these artists we want to make sure that all of this other "stuff" that isn't up to our standard isn't on there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. Just to clarify because it seems people may not be clear on this fact. Apple does have a deal with the majors. They are paying royalties to the majors. And they are allowing independents. So I don't see why Apple would allow it and Microsoft wouldn't.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:31 AM

i had heard the reason Apple didn't release its PC version of iTunes was that the labels wouldn't license them the songs if there was a PC version as they were worried about the easy-hackability of PC software (and the music being distributed for free).
i don't believe Apple are being stupid by not releasing their PC version of iTunes. as far as in understand, the labels did not let them.
tom.