Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-05-2003, 02:53 PM

Default OT - Idiot computer builder here with a problem

Well, I have all the parts for my new machine, and the guy that was going to build it for me skipped town til next week, so I said wtf, i will build it myself rather than wait for dude to return.
I have hooked the whole thing together, as I have done before, but when I go to power it up, the mobo led lights, and all the fans spin about 2 seconds then nothing.
I know, I am pretty new to building pcs from the ground up... any ideas?

a7v333-x mobo
xp2400 processor..
Basically all the allen machine reccomendations down to the case an p/s.
Thanks in advance for your help...
Kev

Old 04-05-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Re: OT - Idiot computer builder here with a problem

well start out by just putting on the parts that you need to start up. Make sure your RAM is in the first slot. Make sure the cpu is facing the right way, with the little notch or arrow pointing toward where the handle of the socket and socket connect. And make sure that the cpu fan is connected to the proper cpu fan slot. Those are the main things.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:02 PM

Check online for your motherboard manual and follow the direction on how to hook eveything up.
Expecially be careful about voltage connections, AGP cards, USB connections, etc....
Make sure you have connected the case Power Led, Driver Leds, Ground Connectors.
Put together in front of your eyes the CASE Manual and the MOBO manual.
Then connect the HARD DRIVE in the right way. Master and Slave, etc...

Only one pin out of place can cause a system not to start.

Ciao,
Antonio Tarantino
Old 04-05-2003, 03:02 PM

I just assembled mine yesterday as well, I will try to help you out if I can. But I'm not the best at this either. Good luck man.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:59 PM

Do you have the internal speaker hooked up?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
I just assembled mine yesterday as well, I will try to help you out if I can. But I'm not the best at this either. Good luck man.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No I thought it would be best to leave the system speaker unplugged. Should I plug it in?

Calvin, I sure would appreciate your help since you are also working on system. I have built barebones systems before (motherboard, cpu and case already connected) with no problems, but I have never built one from the ground up. I have searched the net for similar problems, but just can't seem to find anything specific to this.
I am going to try placing the memory stick in a different slot... I really didnt think that would make a difference because it wasnt mentioned in the mobo manual.
I just can't think of anything else to try. If I wasnt so impatient, I would just wait until next week and let my MIS guy do it for me, but I paid the air-freight in and, well damn...
I am hoping that the mobo, or the power supply arent DOA. That will be a big waste of time.
Thanks for the help.
Kev

Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 AM

Just a shot in the dark here, graveleye.
I don't know about the Asus, but my Soyo has a Fan Off Control. If for some reason the processor heatsink fan quits or is not connected, the motherboard kills power.
You do have the HSF connected to CPUFan1?
Hope this helps,
Mitch
Old 04-06-2003, 10:41 AM

thanks for the reply Mitch. I definatly have the cpu fan hooked up correctly. I also put the ram in the 1st slot. Same thing - powers up for a second then turns right back off.
I'll keep picking at it, but if you guys have any other suggestions, or a good DUC style friendly computer forum to consult, seen me a link.
Thanks for your help!
Kev

Old 04-06-2003, 01:12 PM

graveleye, I'm going thru the exact same thing with my a7v8x, xp2700, standby power lights up and fans go on for 2-3 sec, then nothing. I will try this earth thing. What are: piezo buzzers and fiber washers on the screws?
Old 04-06-2003, 01:36 PM

golli and graveleye,
Look for something like these:

http://www.china-buzzer.com.cn/buzzer.htm

I went to the Asus site and had a look at your manual. Since your board has that voice POST thingie, you may have to hook your speaker.

As for the fiber washer golli, look here:

https://www.home-processor.com/941.shtml

It will look something that, only much smaller.

Mitch