How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Xpand! Midi Channel

I use LE 7.3.

I have a midi track and a virtual instrument track with Xpand! assigned to it.

When I try to send the midi track's output to Xpand!, the only option showing for Xpand!'s midi channel is 1 though I REALLY need it to be any other channel than that.

I cannot find a way to change Xpand!'s midi channel. I'd really really appreciate it if someone could help me add or change Xpand!'s midi channel.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaynan View Post
I use LE 7.3.

I have a midi track and a virtual instrument track with Xpand! assigned to it.

When I try to send the midi track's output to Xpand!, the only option showing for Xpand!'s midi channel is 1 though I REALLY need it to be any other channel than that.

I cannot find a way to change Xpand!'s midi channel. I'd really really appreciate it if someone could help me add or change Xpand!'s midi channel.

Thanks.
I'm not exactly sure why you would need a MIDI track and an instrument track. An instrument track is a MIDI track combined with an Auxiliary track.

I believe a given instance of XPand! (like the one you have in the instrument track) uses exactly one MIDI channel (no more, no less). To my knowledge, there is no way to change it.

FYI, XPand! is not multi timbral. That is, it cannot receive MIDI data from multiple different MIDI channels and play multiple parts. It can receive from multiple MIDI tracks, but all MIDI data will go to XPand! on one MIDI channel.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaynan View Post
I cannot find a way to change Xpand!'s midi channel.
The easiest way would be to instantiate another Xpand!. Though, if you're saving on system resources, print the respective Xpand! Parts.

filosofem
Old 08-16-2008, 03:52 PM

don't use a MIDI track

Use an inst track only

Change the MIDI input (at the very top of the mixer track) from "ALL" to what ever single channel you need..
Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 AM

This if for live recording of a band.

There is a keyboard player I want to fire Xpand samples when he plays but when the drummer plays, his electronic drums also fires Xpand.

The drums only work on channel 1 so I need Xpand to be assigned to another. Xpand only pulls up as channel 1. HELP!! I don't get it.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:40 AM

When addng another Xpand virtual track, protools just calls it Xpand2 but the midi channel still #1
Old 08-17-2008, 06:45 AM

"Change the MIDI input (at the very top of the mixer track) from "ALL" to what ever single channel you need."

There is no midi channel changing option on a virtual instrument track. Where are you talking about about so I can look if I'm mistaken?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 AM

As previously described, at the very top of the instrument track, is the midi input selection. (Expand the mixer track view to all if you're not seeing this) Select only the keyboard to be the input. Drums normally come in on midi channel 10, so use another instrument track for drums, selecting drums as the input. On the drum/inst track, do not assign it to Xpand.

What is your midi interface and setup?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalavtech View Post
As previously described, at the very top of the instrument track, is the midi input selection. (Expand the mixer track view to all if you're not seeing this) Select only the keyboard to be the input. Drums normally come in on midi channel 10, so use another instrument track for drums, selecting drums as the input. On the drum/inst track, do not assign it to Xpand.

What is your midi interface and setup?
I want to thank you for fixing my issue. I didn't realize that was in "instrument" selection on the pull down menu on both the mixer and edit screens. That's where I was able to change the midi channels!!!