Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-12-2021, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Custom installs ? (plugins&instruments)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Thank you all for your valuable time.
System, Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 bootrom144

I'm reinstalling everything on a spinner and plan on cloning everything to a faster drive, and in which order the ones should be system drive, samples and recording drive.

I would like to be able to switch drives to a older OS for certain things and HFS+ would be practical I would imagine.

Combination please, system drive, samples drive, and audio recording drive config?

Here's what I have to clone system drive.
1. Single Samsung Evo Plus M.2
2. OWC Accelsior PCI
3. OWC SSD in slot bay
4. Newly acquired I/O Cest 16x2 M.2 <<<( I gather to benefit speed use 16x slot

Thank you.
I'm confused with the procedure you write here. Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Faster system? Fast nvme drive in a pcie slot. Get one big enough and you can put everything on there. However I'd still recommend having separate drives for system, samples & recording. SSD in a pcie slot for system drive. How many open pcie slots do you have? If you have another open pcie slot put the samples there preferably nvme but a regular ssd on an Accelsior adapter will suffice. In my system IO have a 4TB 7200 rpm spinner for sessions.

If you want to run an older OSX you can always partition a drive; you might want to look into APFS containers instead of partitions. Make Google your friend on that or get in touch with Darryl Ramm here - he's the ssd guru.

QAPLA!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'm confused with the procedure you write here. Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Faster system?

I was trying figuring which drive to use for, system, samples & audio for what I have at my disposal.

Fast nvme drive in a pcie slot. Get one big enough and you can put everything on there. However I'd still recommend having separate drives for system, samples & recording. SSD in a pcie slot for system drive. How many open pcie slots do you have?

I have 3 PCI slots free.
Here's what I have to clone system drive.
1. Single Samsung Evo Plus 500MEG. M.2 (PCI)
2. OWC Accelsior PCI 250MEG
3. OWC SSD in slot bay 120MEG

4. Newly acquired I/O Cest 16x2 M.2 <<<( I gather to benefit speed use 16x slot 1TERABYTE
If you have another open pcie slot put the samples there preferably nvme but a regular ssd on an Accelsior adapter will suffice. In my system IO have a 4TB 7200 rpm spinner for sessions.

If you want to run an older OSX you can always partition a drive; you might want to look into APFS containers instead of partitions. Make Google your friend on that or get in touch with Darryl Ramm here - he's the ssd guru.
Thank you for the advice. Will ask Darryl.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This is what I was getting at in my original post.

Containers are not possible if he is wanting to run anything older than High Sierra. He will have to partition the drive. No problem there.

But, if he does plan on using older versions of macOS, then having his external drives in APFS format is not what he should be using as he won’t be able to access the data on those drives. HFS+ is what he should be using. Again, another reason why I still have my externals, SSD or spinners in that format.

There was a free utility by Paragon called Retrofit Kit that allowed older versions of macOS to read from an APFS formatted drive, but it does NOT allow writing. So again, I wouldn’t recommend going with APFS on an external.

BTW, I had an SSD drive issue just a few months ago. Never say never. Nothing is infallible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
This is what I was getting at in my original post.

Containers are not possible if he is wanting to run anything older than High Sierra. He will have to partition the drive. No problem there.

I was running both, APFS & HFS+ with my metal card RX580 with Open Core partitioned on the same NVMe drive. it's possible now with the new 6.0.9 update from Open Core.

But, if he does plan on using older versions of macOS, then having his external drives in APFS format is not what he should be using as he won’t be able to access the data on those drives. HFS+ is what he should be using. Again, another reason why I still have my externals, SSD or spinners in that format.
Yes I like that reason.

I want to be able to jump back and forth between Mt. Lion PT12, use old plugins, then back to Mojave 2020.3.1, which now is obtainable with Open Core. What was staggering after I installed Open Core PT12 loaded almost instantly, and any mouse clicks on anything was instantaneous which blew my mind. I guess the 8megs makes a difference on Mt. Lion, even though there is no video acceleration within Mt. Lion.

There was a free utility by Paragon called Retrofit Kit that allowed older versions of macOS to read from an APFS formatted drive, but it does NOT allow writing. So again, I wouldn’t recommend going with APFS on an external.

I dig that Paragon, but only goes back to Yosemite.

BTW, I had an SSD drive issue just a few months ago. Never say never. Nothing is infallible.

I screwed up my setup when putting back spinners and screwed up my EFI and Open Core disappeared so now I'm redoing everything. So I just want guidance on what drive is best for what. I'm willing to take a small hit on performance if I have to keep all drives HFS+ so I can access PT files between PT12 & PT 2020. Of course system partition for Mojave has to be APFS that I realize.

Thank you all

Old 06-13-2021, 08:27 PM

I think your first statement is somewhat incorrect.

Open Core is a boot loader. I don’t believe it overcomes the fact that APFS uses Containers and HFS+ does not. You even mention partition in your post. I feel like you’re confusing what Open Core’s purpose is in the situation we are discussing.

AFAIK, you still have to use partitions on any drive you want to run a version of macOS older than High Sierra.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I think your first statement is somewhat incorrect.
My first statement as per post is asking what's a good setup with the drives I have available. Sorry it strayed to the Boot loader as well.

Open Core is a boot loader. I don’t believe it overcomes the fact that APFS uses Containers and HFS+ does not.
I'm totally aware of the restrictions, although Open Core is able to utilize both APFS & HFS+ with the new configlist Marton Lo created ( amazing)
Ability to run any natively unsupported ancient OSX with modern graphic card

You even mention partition in your post. I feel like you’re confusing what Open Core’s purpose is in the situation we are discussing.
Open Core is a happening thing right for these dinosaur Mac pro's ability to run new metal graphics cards on unsupported MacOS, pretty cool, among thunderbolt 3 as well.

AFAIK, you still have to use partitions on any drive you want to run a version of macOS older than High Sierra.
Absolutely, I had the drive partitioned in half. One for APFS & the other for HFS+ and running OS Mt. Lion and Mojave, per two different partitions. Thanks for all the help for sure.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:54 PM

Sure.

I think we’re going round in circles.

The distinction I was trying to make was that you have to use partitions. Containers, as discussed above, will NOT work with HFS+ formatted drives.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Sure.

I think we’re going round in circles.

The distinction I was trying to make was that you have to use partitions. Containers, as discussed above, will NOT work with HFS+ formatted drives.

10-4, Thank you for the info Sardi.

Last edited by basslik; 06-16-2021 at 06:05 PM.