Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-18-2004, 01:02 AM

Default problem opening sesion w/ all plug-ins activated

Why is it that when I save a session, and then re-open it later; it will often not activate all the plug in's that I had when I saved the session?
Kinda makes it hard to get an exact recall of the mix.
This only seems to happen when I almost max out my DSP cards.
I have a Accel 2 system running 6.2.

Thanks in advance,
KenSluiter
Old 10-18-2004, 03:04 AM

Default Re: problem opening sesion w/ all plug-ins activat

Can you activate the plugins manually after opening the session ? If so, this seems somehow related to a problem I encountered the other day : The DSPs were pretty maxed out and when I tried to reassign the outputs of some selected tracks to a bus, PT told me that it does not have enough timeslots available. Anyway, I could reassign them manually one by one with no problems. Unfortunately I haven´t found a solution for this yet.

Suggestions, anyone ?

Regards,

Markus
Old 10-18-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: problem opening sesion w/ all plug-ins activated

When a session is re-opened, it will allocate the DSP in another way, than when you're adding plugins during the mix. There used to be a problem with Mix systems regarding DSP allocation. When you still had enough DSP power, you could encouter the 'not enough DSP resources'-message. This was not because of DSP power, but because of RAM memory. The Mix farms had 3 different RAM types (don't exactly remember which) and plugins used specific types. So when 1 type of RAM was used up, PT would give you the 'not enough DSP' message, when trying to open a plugin.

Is this stil the case with HD systems?

MassiveMusic

SOS article
Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 PM

Yes, this behaves the way my old mixplus sytem did. I've had the Accel system for about a year. I've never run into this situation, but then again, I'm mixing a record that was cut on an Accel 3 system, so I've been pushing my DSP resources harder than ever.
Sometimes if I quit and re-lauch PT , I get all the plugs working, sometimes I don't.
This is starting to impede my workflow since now that I have dedicated myself to mixing ITB, I'll tend to cycle thru an entire record in a couple of days, making touch ups here and there. When I can't get my plug in's back, I lose the "total recall" aspect.
If there was a way to manually shuffle the plugs onto different chips that would help.
I'm wondering if I should get a used process card on E-bay for some extra DSP until all the plugs become Accel compatible.

Ken
Old 10-19-2004, 01:20 AM

You may as well buy a used HD Process card. . . they are almost free thanks to the brillant introduction of Accel. . . The HD Process cards typically go for around $800 at the end of an ebay auction. . . or for < $1,000 on buy-it-now. Thanks Digi!