Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 01:57 AM

Default time compression sw, or, how to do drums?

Here's my dilemna.

I am not a really good drummer, I can get the job done, especially if the tempo is not up there. Problem is, I want to record stuff where the tempo is 'up there'. I have set of electronic pads feeding a DM Pro and was wondering...can I play the stuff in half time, and with some help from some software or advanced PT technique, effectively double the tempo?

Another solution I guess is to use loop libraries for the drums...I dont like that idea because you have no control over the drums individually...it is just a stereo track. Unless there is something I'm missing.

I dont want to spend my life 'stepping' drum parts into PT either. I have better things to do with my time.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Re: time compression sw, or, how to do drums?

Sonoma,
Check out a product called "Drums on Demand." They are great drum loops organized into song forms.

Also, what kind of music do you do? I am a drummer and am currently set up to record my kit. I can play all styles. Maybe we can work together on each others projects.
My best styles are jazz, pop, rock, country (If needed), world (reggae, latin, etc) The only style I would have to "fake" it a bit is in VERY heavy metal requiring lots of double bass stuff.

Good luck man!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:02 AM

I think there is a way of recording in half time.

To play in half time you press shift + spacebar, so I suppose to record in half time to pro tools you press control + shift + spacebar. Not at my PT machine so cant check it out...give it a crack though

neeel.
2 Gig RAM
Old 10-15-2004, 12:53 PM

Use redrum and write your drum parts with midi when your done just raise the tempo.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 10-16-2004, 12:16 PM

Hey Neeel, I tried this and it worked...is there any way to do it w/o affecting the pitch? I guess I could go step it down an octave after it's been recorded...but is there a way to bypass that step and get it in true pitch at half tempo?
Thanks!