Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Default Random Error, missing iLok authorization for "Pro Tools 9"

Hi - thanks for looking at the post. Here's the situation:

Issue: After installing PT 9.0.1, transfering iLok licences and rebooting, PT launches on first try, no issues. I create a test session, everything checks out. I relaunch PT later in the day and receive the following message, " Error, missing iLok authorization for "Pro Tools 9" Please insert the necessary iLok to continue.

What I've tried: Moving the iLok to different USB ports, reinstalling iLok drivers, disabling power management of USB ports. All to no avail. I then uninstall, and reinstall PT9. Again, launches fine first time, then I get the ilok auth error message after subsequent PT 9 launches. Stranger still, randomly, PT9 has launched successfully. When it does, it is unable to recognize my Digi 003. Turning 003 on/off has no effect. If I reboot the machine, it goes back to the ilok error message again. I'm stumped!

System: Pro Tools 9.0.1, Windows 7 sp1 64bit (recent clean install, all MS Updates), Digi 003 Rack, iLok 2. Former installed Pro Tools 8.0.4 with no issues.

SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : EVGA 122-CK-NF68
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : Ghost
User : Jonah

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Speed : 2.4GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Mainboard : EVGA 122-CK-NF68
BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/04/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 4GB DIMM SDRAM

Chipset
Model : nVidia C55 Host Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 267MHz (1GHz)
Total Memory : 4GB DIMM SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 800MHz

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : OCZ OCZ2N800SRC42G 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-24-6-3)
Memory Module : OCZ OCZ2N800SRC42G 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-24-6-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (128 SM4.0 1.25GHz, 768MB DDR3 1.8GHz 384-bit, PCIe 1.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL Processor : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (128SP 16C 1.35GHz, 768MB DDR3 1.8GHz 384-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (128SP 1.25GHz, 768MB DDR3 1.8GHz 384-bit)
CUDA Processor : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (128SP 16C 1.35GHz, 768MB DDR3 1.8GHz 384-bit)

Storage Devices
WDC WD7501AALS-00J7B1 (750.2GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 32MB Cache) : 699GB (C:)
Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 (320GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 15MB Cache) : 298GB (D:)
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-H21N (ATA33, DVD+-R, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E:)
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 627MB (F:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 699GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD7501AALS-00J7B1 (750.2GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 32MB Cache)
Hard Disk (D:) : 298GB (NTFS) @ Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 (320GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 15MB Cache)
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-H21N (ATA33, DVD+-R, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
000825_0147 (F:) : 626MB (CDFS) @ LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : nVidia MCP55 LPC Bridge
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : Winbond W83627DHG
Audio Device : nVidia MCP55 High Definition Audio
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor Realtek 885 High Definition Audio
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : nVidia MCP55 IDE
Disk Controller : nVidia MCP55 SATA Controller
USB Controller 1 : nVidia MCP55 USB Controller
USB Controller 2 : nVidia MCP55 USB Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : nVidia TSB43AB22 1394a-2000 OHCI PHY/Link-Layer Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : nVidia MCP5+ SMBus 1
SMBus/i2c Controller 2 : nVidia MCP5+ SMBus 2

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (Ethernet, 1Gbps)
Network Adapter : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet #2

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 5.9

Performance Enhancing Tips
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Random Error, missing iLok authorization for "Pro Tools 9"

This sounds like an issue that gave me trouble a while ago. You have, of course, done all the requisite Windows 7 optimizations, right? There is one important step regarding USB power management that's easy to miss, in fact it was missing from the first issue of Windows 7 optimizations that I downloaded. Here's the relevant section:

* Open the Start menu and then click on 'Control Panel'.
* In Large icon View, click on Power Options.
* Select the 'High Performance' power plan. Click on the 'Change plan settings' link.
* Set the display's sleep time to Never.
* Set the computer's sleep time to Never.
* Click on the 'Change advanced power settings' link.
* Click on the '+' sign next to Hard Disk.
* Click on the '+' sign next to Turn Off Hard Disk After.
* Select the default; the text entry field will now be accessible.
* In the text entry field, type Never.

and here's the kicker:

* Click on the '+' sign next to 'USB settings'.
* Click on the '+' sign next to 'USB selective suspend setting'.
* Double-click where it says Enabled and click on Disabled.
* Click Apply then OK.

* Click Save Changes.
* Close the Power Options window.

If this step is not taken, Windows will helpfully reactivate power management at the first opportunity, thereby rendering your ILOK inaccessible when you need it most.
Hope this helps
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions btcat.. I had missed that section but unfortunately no luck.

Maybe this will help: I launch PT9 without the iLok inserted I get the identical error message. It's almost as if PT is oblivious the iLok being plugged in. The OS however instantly recognizes it. Just to be sure, I've gone to ilok.com and viewed the licence, which ilok.com recognizes as soon as the ilok is inserted, and then launched Pro Tools. This doesn't seem to help however.

So in conclusion I can be certain that Windows and ilok.com is seeing the iLok & the authorization is there... however PT seems unable to see it. Strange, no?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktuulu View Post
Thanks for the suggestions btcat.. I had missed that section but unfortunately no luck.

Maybe this will help: I launch PT9 without the iLok inserted I get the identical error message. It's almost as if PT is oblivious the iLok being plugged in. The OS however instantly recognizes it. Just to be sure, I've gone to ilok.com and viewed the licence, which ilok.com recognizes as soon as the ilok is inserted, and then launched Pro Tools. This doesn't seem to help however.

So in conclusion I can be certain that Windows and ilok.com is seeing the iLok & the authorization is there... however PT seems unable to see it. Strange, no?
Strange yes I would uninstall the ilok driver and re-install it(making sure you have the newest version).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator

This is more than likely unrelated, but you might want to also do the following:
Uninstall the Digi 002 Rack driver from Add/Remove programs (or whatever it is on Windows 7, not on my Windows computer at the moment)
Then install the latest drivers for Digi 002 Rack from www.avid.com/drivers
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 PM

I had this exact same error when I updated from 9.0 to 9.01 . I tried some of the same stuff you did and non of it worked. Eventually I got mad and turned my computer off, when I re-booted with the Ilok not connected then plugged it in as soon as i launched Pro tools

Also it might not make a difference but in between the reboot I updated windows to Service pack 1.

One other thing to try is to go to the bottom right of your screen and click on your Win locker button. Click the Ilok icon and click "safely remove hardware". The unplug the Ilok device. and Re insert and launch PT. This will get windows to re reconize the device. If that fails try it again but reboot your computer before you launch PT again.

I did all of these and got Pro tools working however I'm not sure which one actually fixed it I was in a flurry of frustration lol!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM

Default Partial Solution: Error missing iLok authorization for "Pro Tools 9"

Partial Solution found:

- Joe

Many thanks for you suggestion, this has turned out to be the only workable solution thus far. Here is the only condition I get PT to run:

1) Boot up computer with iLok unattached and 003 powered on.
2) Launch PT 9 as administrator
3) Insert iLok just as PT begins loading, perhaps a half second after you click the icon, maybe less.

Limitations: I then close and relaunch PT at will. However if I reboot with the exact same configuration and leave the ilok inserted, I receive the original error.

Avid: this seems to be a fundamental bug in you're software, please address it. Hardly the kind of work around for professional software. FYI I tried uninstalling then reinstalling ilok drivers, digi 003 drivers and PT itself. When I reinstalled the ilok drivers I was once able to get PT to launch, but it didn't recognize the 003 at that point. There is no doubt this is a software bug and I'm clearly not the only one to experience. Not happy about spending an entire day on this.

Thanks to all for their comments. I will repost to the thread if I find a more permanent solution.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 AM

If you have a second ilok I would try moving all of your licenses to it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Are you positive that power management is unchecked on all USB ports?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM

Tom: I don't believe the ilok is the issue considering its new and ilok.com has no problem recognizing it. The PT licence transfered without a hitch when I purchased it.

Albee: Yes I'm 100% positive. Somehow, it really does seem that PT will only recognize the ilok if it's inserted as the program is launching.