Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Default PT 8.0.3 random audio pops

I have had ZERO problems for months... I load the PT update for HD and now RANDOMLY audio wil POP at 0db and waveforms are clipped...

It gets weirder...

I have had it start RANDOMLY. As in the session is up and fine for 30 minutes then, instantly, the vocal track has CRAZY LOUD POPS and they are PRINTED to the track... Chopped wave form tops.

I wasn't recording or editing, just mixing and playback. Voila, tracks start to pop.

even better...

Then I reload the session and a DIFFERENT track starts to pop. And again printed to the track... Chop tops.

Reload.

Its fine for 30 minutes then POP, they are back on a NEW different track...

Ridiculous...

(Background- I own a recording studio and do this full time. Ive owned PT for over 10 years. Its NOT my set ups issue...HD2, mac pro quad, and 2 digi 192s.)
Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Re: PT 8.0.3 random audio pops

Hi,

what version did you upgrade from?

Are all your plugins up to date and compatible?

Any chance the upgrade changed prefs!! hardware buffer setting maybe?

Do you have the DSP cache on?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:26 PM

often a fouled plugin can cause pops

not sure these are the ones you are experiencing

they have occured when moving channels around or when stopping play back

a quick little pop sometimes running through effects, verbs etc

you can usually fix by reinserting the plug in

if you want to preserve the setting

try clicking on it with both control and apple down

that will uninstantiate the plug

then do it again to re instantiate

the often cures it without having to reinsert and lose the settings

i hope this is it and it is this easy to help you

Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks guys! But the pops are 100% related to the audio trac itself. You can even switch out virtual tracks and it still pops... IN THE SAME PLACE???

Ive got mix all day today so Ill post again after I get some more relative info to problem solve with!

There are NO plugs on the track. The pops disappear if you reload the session BUT may move to another track!!! And the strange thing is the pops happen EXACTLYT the same everytime you play the track back- as if printed to the audio track...

Everything is 100% perfect as far as my set up goes- trust me on that. Ive, in well over 10 years, never had this type of random clipping...

Not sensible- it acts/plays back like its printed (nothing inserted at all) but if you reopen the session it MAY do it on a different track in a different place- this is a code issue guys...
Old 12-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Just this session?.. Have you done the usual pref/database cleaning?
Sounds like a corrupt session, unless it manifests itself on other sessions.
Are you saying that it affects the waveform when it pops? Affects the audio file? Not in record?
that is weird. sb

Quote:
Everything is 100% perfect as far as my set up goes- trust me on that
Is your birthday on Friday?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:16 PM

I got it on 3 sessions... really wierd...

But Im warming the studio up and will be mixing all night so Ill know better once I really dig in.

Im telling you guys its REALLLLLLLLLLLY weird... I run 200+ track sessions all day long. My PT hasn't crashed in well over 6 months and if it did it was from another program running concurrent. My rig has been 100% flawless until 8.0.3 and instantly was NOT flawless afterwards.

Not a home studio- HD2 with racks of outboard. And its not the outboard- the bay isn't normalled.

Ill be interested to see if it happens again tonight... If not, Ill be thrilled! Im mid mix... And I KNEW I should have waited to update...

BTW I LOVE PT and PT 8 has been so solid for me its ridiculous! This has been a big surprise. Not since early PT7 have I been worried things wouldn't work right all the time...
Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
There are NO plugs on the track. The pops disappear if you reload the session BUT may move to another track!!! And the strange thing is the pops happen EXACTLYT the same everytime you play the track back- as if printed to the audio track...
Hi,

Likely there could be a region playing at this point, which has a send feeding an aux? either the send or the aux or the plugin on the aux could be corrupted.

But my money is still on an out of date plugin in your plugins folder! any plugin in your plugs folder is still loaded into the cache and can cause issues.

Remove ALL plugins from your plugs folder except the "stereo mixer.dpm" now load PT and see if the problem is still there.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Likely there could be a region playing at this point, which has a send feeding an aux? either the send or the aux or the plugin on the aux could be corrupted.

But my money is still on an out of date plugin in your plugins folder! any plugin in your plugs folder is still loaded into the cache and can cause issues.

Remove ALL plugins from your plugs folder except the "stereo mixer.dpm" now load PT and see if the problem is still there.

Chris
Appreciate the thought but nope... And tonight everything is working fine. No chop tops popping up, no pops... nothing!

So I guess Ill chalk it up as fluke unless it happens again.

But its not prefs, plugs, etc... If you knew how well my system is kept up and what abuse it takes in stride, you would understand. Again its a full studio and you cant afford to not function properly.

Its not so simple as trash prefs or update plugs... Especially considering there AREN'T any on the tracks in question...! And its working 100% now with NO changes from last night? But Im 100% cool with that!

And again- the EXACT 3 sessions are 100% fine so far tonight and I changed nothing. Updates can get weird on occasion- Ill chalk it up to that for now.

Protools has always had its moments... At least they are WAYYYYYY less now!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
As Crizdee said, that is irrelevant... they only need be in the plugin folder. Instancing them is not necessary.
Glad though that everything is "normal"... but that sounds like a scary scenario. SB
OK I know what it is and I was right... heheheh

Its elastic audio doing it and its 100% a BUG!

Not plugs or prefs as I said. And I probably didn't make it clear but of COURSE I trashed prefs and check plugs etc. Thats the first thing to do if things get weird, plus a few other simple checks... So when I said my system runs flawless- I meant it. But I meant it because I know how to maintain a PT system. I also used do it for a living(studio consultation)... People tend to assume the simplest solution because on the internet nobody knows who you are...

But I do appreciate the attempts to resolve the issue! And at least its identified now. And I use elastic audio often so that explains why it happened on multiple tracks.

That also explains why I was VISUALLY noticing the chopped waveforms- elastic audio was analyzing/capturing them, then redrawing the wave form askew.

It happened again last night so I made a real effort to find more info and strangely enough, here on this site are others with the same problem...
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
so I made a real effort to find more info and strangely enough, here on this site are others with the same problem...
That is always a good place to start, not end. SB