Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2001, 07:41 AM

Default behringer 2004?

Those of you using the 2004 mixer with your Digi001, how do you like it? I'm really thinking about buying one here real soon. What is the cheapest you've seen it? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2001, 08:53 AM

Default Re: behringer 2004?

After a month of debating on which mixer to get, I just ordered one last night at www.musiciansfriend.com

Behringer MX2004A - $299

I hear it's a great little mixer for that price. We'll have to wait and see if my ears agree [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

pk
Old 08-23-2001, 07:31 PM

Hi there,

Since it's my first mixer, I have no comparisons to offer. I bought it because it was within my budget, has plenty of inputs and since I record but 2 tracks at a time, the ALT 3/4 bus was a perfect match.

I use it as a front end for Digi001. This allows for zero monitor latency. The monitors (Behringer Truth 2031's) are connected to the control room outs. All the audio sources connect into the appropriate inputs. When I want to print a track, I route it through the ALT 3/4 outputs into 3/4 on the Digi box. I connected the main outs from the Digi box into 15/16 stereo pair on the 2004. I use the Focusrite Voicemaster as my vocal mic pre and Penta has my stereo compressor prior to tracking to get the best signal going in. The cd player connects to the RCA tape-in connectors. Smooth faders and easy to use wraps it up for me. Excellent board for the price.

What I don't like about the board are the unbalanced outputs (except for main mix), though they are TRS jacks for some reason. Also, when I email Behringer to ask questions regarding the 2004 they have never responded.

I would like to know if the outputs are referenced to +4 or -10. The balanced mono inputs and stereo balanced inputs accept both +4 and -10 line levels. Unbalanced usually refers to -10. Fortunately, the Digi001 inputs accept bal and unbal signals and allows you to change the relative line level strength within PTLE.

Please add to this thread regarding this board.
Jim
Old 08-23-2001, 10:56 PM

hi JBR,

well, that's certainly a re-assuring claim about the 2004.
Not to get too off the subject, but I just read a review of the Penta compressor in Future Music, and 0 negatives. How do you feel about it? Do you find your tracks are sounding better (or warmer) overall?

Also, your Behringer speakers...yay or nay?
To say you like them would only state the obvious, I know.
The reason I'm so curious about the "Truths" is because I'm highly disapointed in the Event 20/20's that I own. I bought them used, knowing they're very well respected monitors. But after getting better at mixing over the last year, and narrowing down the actual meanings behind terms like 'flat' and 'accurate', it's my conclusion that my 20/20's are way too flattering. They sound good playing CD's, but the translation between systems on all my mixes has been incredibly inconsistent. If it was only one area or frequency range, I could deal with it, as it's just a matter of adjustment and learning your monitors. But no, it's the lows, high's, mid's, I never know what I'm getting when the CD-R is burned.
That is why I'm seriously looking into the Behringers.

pk
Old 08-24-2001, 04:20 PM

Hi pk,

I posted the following regarding the Behringer 2031's in a previous post:
---------------------------------------------
I A/B'd the Behringers against KRKs, Genelecs and Mackies using a test CD containing many styles of music. This paid off big time because I was leaning towards the Mackies. Bass response(50-->20)is still noticeable at low volumes(KRKs falls off) and when pushed they move alot of air. Highs are crisp and Mids I don't yet know how to describe. They sounded the most accurate overall to me(Genelecs as well)keeping in mind my limited experience for critical listening. And the price is outstanding! $1179CDN/pair. Having said that, if I had an extra $5000 I would buy the Genelecs. I feed the Behringers through a Behringer MX2004A mixer. All instruments are monitored through the MX2004A en route to DIGI001.
---------------------------------------------
I'm recording a spoken word project that will be used for a german-->english translation multimedia cd. The test tracks translated very well from the 2031's to my regular computer speakers. Of course, tracking using a good mic through the Voicemaster creates a very clean signal into PTLE.

Regarding the Penta; I've only recently acquired it, so it's too soon to relate. I can say it's intuitive to use just like the Voicemaster, excellent i/o's and a simple, straight forward users guide, not to mention the fantastic price. And you can't knock the look of it either. I bought it not only for the reasons above, but because it makes a great first outboard compressor...the presets get you started and you can tweak from there.

Jim

FWIW I'm relatively new to recording, but not to creating music. It is not my intention to come across as a pro.

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: jbr ]
Old 08-24-2001, 11:41 PM

I replied to one of pk_hat's threads before about behringer monitors. In my other post I said I had a 1604 and I infact had a 2004. (I would have gotten the 1604 and saved $100 but it had no inserts) I'm happy to say I don't have it. Yeah it's great that it's cheap and it had a lot of inputs and it looked pretty cool too. I even got it price matched for like 270 free shipping no tax.

The fact is that it sucked. Sorry. Maybe mine was broken? I don't know much about recording either but I could tell the mic pres were junk. Obviously money is a factor so do what you have to do. I wish someone would have told me it sucked before I bought it. I would have saved $30 shipping it back. Zzounds doesn't have a "this equipment sucks" shipping refund.

BTW pk_hat, I just read your reply to my other post so I'll just answer your questions here. I never record live drums...I'm in an apartment. It's always vocals, acoustic guitar and horns. Thats how I get away without a mixer. I've used the digi mic pres before and they are decent, but man....this joe meek is insane. From what I hear the vc3q is almost identical in sound and for 199, it's WELL worth it, because it's a great mic pre, as well as comp and eq. If you have the meequalizer plugin you'll know what I'm talking about.

I will add that I'm probably going to buy a behringer 604 for monitoring purposes. I just won't include it in the chain going to tape.

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: executivos ]
Old 08-25-2001, 09:41 AM

thanks for the replies, everyone -
Every little bit of 'user's info' helps when comes time to part with hard-earned ca$h!
Very appreciated indeed...

Happy recording [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

pk