Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Default CPU overload with Native Instruments

PT 2018.4, OS 10.13.4 and Kontakt Native Instruments

I'm not sure if this is a Mac OS, Pro tool or a Native Instruments problem.

I use Pro Tool 2018.4 Ultimate with OS High Sierra 10.13.4. I have a new refurbished Mac trash can (6.1) with 68 gb ram, 3 Ghz 10 core, intel zeon, 1 TB SSD internal disk.

When I have a clean session with only 2 tracks: a master fader and a instrument track with KONTAKT, the CPU will almost overload instantly when I start playing. Especially the lib Electric sunburst or acoustic strumming will make the cpu go instantly in red. This cannot be true. What is wrong? There is no other plugs in the session than Kontakt. All the other Kontakt lib will also push the cpu pretty much, although it takes 2-4 libs at the same time, which also is crazy, considering my horsepower.

Btw, I have already Re-Batch saved the kontakt lib and so on. I normally record in 88.2/32 float, and have the H/W buffersize around 256. Would it make a difference if I put the libs on an external disk?

Help!

Cheers from Copenhagen
Old 05-26-2018, 11:37 PM

Default Re: CPU overload with Native Instruments

sounds like a protools problem or os kontakt is pretty solid i am still on 11hd el cap the new guitars sunburst should not be peaking your cpu they are a little ram hungry but should be ok now that you are on a 64bit protools to be honest avid needs slow down and fix the bugs love protools but its forever in beta!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank of Denmark View Post
PT 2018.4, OS 10.13.4 and Kontakt Native Instruments

I'm not sure if this is a Mac OS, Pro tool or a Native Instruments problem.

I use Pro Tool 2018.4 Ultimate with OS High Sierra 10.13.4. I have a new refurbished Mac trash can (6.1) with 68 gb ram, 3 Ghz 10 core, intel zeon, 1 TB SSD internal disk.

When I have a clean session with only 2 tracks: a master fader and a instrument track with KONTAKT, the CPU will almost overload instantly when I start playing. Especially the lib Electric sunburst or acoustic strumming will make the cpu go instantly in red. This cannot be true. What is wrong? There is no other plugs in the session than Kontakt. All the other Kontakt lib will also push the cpu pretty much, although it takes 2-4 libs at the same time, which also is crazy, considering my horsepower.

Btw, I have already Re-Batch saved the kontakt lib and so on. I normally record in 88.2/32 float, and have the H/W buffersize around 256. Would it make a difference if I put the libs on an external disk?

Help!

Cheers from Copenhagen
What *exact* error do you get?

Hopefully this a full clean reinstall of everything, not a clone/migration of an older system.

Start at the stuff under “help us help you” up the top of every DUC web page. You need to try the usual troubleshooting steps there..., trashing prefs, checking plugins are up to date, try removing all other plugins, system fully optimized, new empty session, from new admin account, disk cache set to at least a few GB, dynamic plugin processing disabled, try using built-in output playback engine, does the system get stable at a large IO buffer size, etc. etc. etc. you should have tried all that already.

Moving libraries will not likely help you reduce CPU related problems. Not with disk cache, and not when the internal SSD drive is so much faster than common external drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What *exact* error do you get?
You need to try the usual troubleshooting steps there..., trashing prefs, checking plugins are up to date, try removing all other plugins, system fully optimized, new empty session, from new admin account, disk cache set to at least a few GB, dynamic plugin processing disabled, try using built-in output playback engine, does the system get stable at a large IO buffer size, etc. etc. etc. you should have tried all that already.
The error is that CPU/system usage is going in red, and some pops and glitch.

Yes, it' gets stable at large I/O buffer size. Eg. the total cpu reaches 30 % with only kontakt plug/electric sunburst in 2048 buffer size.. It's peticullar Electric sunburst that takes up a lot of cpu. Even though it's a new install, I will try to re-install Electric sunburst..

Which prefs should I erase? New admin account? I'm using local

I did these - and it didn't fix it.
- plugins up tu date √
- remove all other plugs √
- new empty session √
- disk cache a few GB √
- dynamic plug processing disabled √
- try built in output √
Old 05-27-2018, 01:40 AM

Which version of Kontakt? They just released a new one...
Old 05-27-2018, 01:49 AM

You trash all prefs when troubleshooting. Standard instructions. And keep retrashing them occasionally as you go through other steps.

By error I mean when ignore error is not checked what exact AAE error is thrown. Leave ignore error unchecked while you troubleshoot.

Besides that don’t fixate on the meters. Nobody really knows what they are showing anyhow.

Create a new admin account, and log into that account and from there test starting with an empty session (not from template, not a copy of a session).

I have not looked at recent documentation for Kontakt, but make sure you have followed any of their Pro Tools optimization instructions.

If there is one specific instrument causing problems and you do the troubleshooting steps above then the next steps are really to focus on that plugin, look on NI forums, contact their support etc. with new plugins there may be suspicion they have more bugs, but even if it’s a new interoperability bug caused by Pro Tools, the plugin vendors are usually the best place to start, they are able to track down issues etc and get them fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-27-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Which version of Kontakt? They just released a new one...
Kontakt 5.8.0
Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 AM

Thanks, Darryl. I will try your suggestions.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:59 AM

Please check if closing down (not minimising) edit and mix windows, just leaving transport and CPU usage open, calms the CPU spikes down?

I'm interested as you're working at sample rates higher than 48k, and lower buffer sizes.

Here's a YouTube of my machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z82ZrOE0Dq4

Closing the windows down gives correct operation.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
Please check if closing down (not minimising) edit and mix windows, just leaving transport and CPU usage open, calms the CPU spikes down?
No, unfortunately, it didn't do it.