Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-27-2006, 08:00 AM

Default Proteus not sending MIDI messages...!

OK first things first. I have a Proteus 2000, being controlled by a Motif ES, being ran through PT V6.9. Simple enough. What i'm trying to do is use my Motif as a controller for the Protues and track the outgoing MIDI from the Proteus onto Pro Tools. But for some reason, Pro Tools is not recording any MIDI data from the Proteus at all. I can definitely hear what i'm playing on the Proteus, with or without a track record armed. I have tried running it on a Aux track to and Audio track, nothing. Tried it on just an Audio track all it's own, nothing. I have MIDI through checked on Pro Tools, have the send channel on Pro Tools on 1, and the receive channel on 2. My MIDI cables are set up as follows; MIDI out of the Motif to the MIDI "A" in on the Proteus. MIDI "A" out of the Proteus to my M-Audio Uno in, and the out of the M-Audio Uno to the MIDI "A" in on the Proteus. And like i said, i can hear any and everything i play, no problems there, but i just cannot seem to track any of that MIDI data onto a MIDI track. If i was to draw the notes on the MIDI track it would then playback through the Proteus, but i cannot get real-time recording of MIDI notes from the Proteus using my Motif as a controller. If anyone could help me with this what is now a major problem, i highly appreciate it. Thankx in advance...! Oh yeah, i also have tried it in "Auto Input Monitor" and "Input Only" modes, both yeilding no results...
Old 05-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Proteus not sending MIDI messages...!

Quote:
OK first things first.
May I recommend you use the return key and place spaces between paragraphs so your post's not a headache to read.

Quote:
I have a Proteus 2000, being controlled by a Motif ES, being ran through PT V6.9. Simple enough. What i'm trying to do is use my Motif as a controller for the Protues and track the outgoing MIDI from the Proteus onto Pro Tools. But for some reason, Pro Tools is not recording any MIDI data from the Proteus at all.
<snip>
My MIDI cables are set up as follows; MIDI out of the Motif to the MIDI "A" in on the Proteus. MIDI "A" out of the Proteus to my M-Audio Uno in, and the out of the M-Audio Uno to the MIDI "A" in on the Proteus.
(Something's not right there. You're saying you have *both* the Motif *and* the M-Audio Uno plugged into the same MIDI "A" on the Proteus 2000).

Actually, I suspect Pro Tools *is* recording MIDI from the Proteus2000 (P2k), just not the MIDI notes you're after. (Twist one of those controller knobs on the P2k and I bet Pro Tools will capture it, assuming the knobs are set to transmit MIDI in the P2k system set-up).

Your MIDI cabling isn't correct, and I don't suspect your single I/O MIDI interface is helping either. What Digi hardware are you running?

For Pro Tools to "see" your MIDI notes, your controller (Motif ES) must be connected up to Pro Tools directly. At present, it's plugged into your P2k, meaning the notes are going *only* into the P2k - which you can hear - but not into Pro Tools.

The proper set-up should be:

Motif OUT --> MIDI Interface IN (so Pro Tools can "see" the MIDI notes being played).
MIDI Interface OUT --> P2k IN (so the P2k can play the notes triggered via Pro Tools).

Sorted. Motif triggering the P2k via Pro Tools.

Except, you then won't be triggering the Motif itself from Pro Tools, nor the other 16 sounds from the second "B" MIDI IN on the P2k.

To bring the Motif on board, you need a MIDI interface with at least two sets of MIDI Ins and Outs. To take advantage of the P2k MIDI B input, you'll need another MIDI Interface Out again.

Check your DIGI hardware for the extra MIDI (if applicable) or get yourself a 4x4 MIDI Interface.

How does that sound?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:04 AM

Problem solved. I now can record notes from the Proteus onto Pro Tools. The problem was the fact that i had the MIDI out from the Motif going directly into the Proteus rather than into Pro Tools first. So i reconfigured my MIDI cables accordingly and everything is all good as far as that is concerned. But now i've encountered another problem. After about 15 to 25 seconds of playback, with a MIDI track open and me messing around on the Proteus, Pro Tools will freeze up on me and i'll get a continuos noise coming out of Pro Tools that won't go away until after i've completely disconnected my M-Box 1, which is the hardware i'm using. I have a gig of RAM on my laptop so memory shouldn't be the problem. I don't have a bunch of other VI's running at the same time, only that one MIDI track for the Proteus and it'll still freeze on me, it does it everytime, never fails. Any suggestions as to what it might be...?!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:48 AM

Glad to hear your first issue sorted.

For the freeze factor, are you running a PC or Mac?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:57 AM

PC.

Sony Vaio laptop, 2.6 GHz, 1 Gig RAM, 40 Gig internal drive, 160 USB external dedicated to audio. Basic stuff...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:40 AM

Sorry, not sure why then. Fingers crossed someone else can chime in.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:53 AM

Alright, that's fine. Thanks for your help anyway man, it was a great help. Maybe someone else can come in and offer there advice on the situation.

Any takers...?!