Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2020, 08:27 PM

Default Help! Recovering a project that disappeared

Hey there, I'm a long time PT user. Last month I decided to download Pro Tools First to get some editing work done on my laptop without having to plug or install ilok. I worked on a (offline) project on it for a week.

Today, when launching PTF, my project had disappeared. I still can see it in the cache folder, but it won't show up in PTF at all.

I did some googling and found out about the 2019.5 bug. Checked my version and it was 2019.5, and it was the version Avid sent in my email just last month instead of the fixed 2019.6

Could anybody help with either getting PTF to finally see my project, or getting PT to read/import the .ptxp files? Pleaaase let me know, I'm bummed out I lost a lot of time on this.

Last edited by hitsville; 05-18-2020 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Help! Recovering a project that disappeared

When you start PTF, sign in and choose Open Project, you should see your offline project in the list, but it will be grayed out. Try clicking on the arrow for that project and choose Backup to Cloud. It should be able to pick up the files from the offline project. If that works and allows you to open it, you should then be able to move it back to a session.

System Details
Old 05-18-2020, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, it doesn't appear at all in the list of projects. I can only see the projects that are on the cloud. My offline projects don't seem to appear anywhere despite still being in the project cache folder.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:46 PM

could anybody at avid please give me a hand with this? there has to be a way to recover my session
Old 05-22-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
could anybody at avid please give me a hand with this? there has to be a way to recover my session

Nobody from Avid will know that you need help unless you create a support case.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-23-2020, 04:30 PM

Thanks, I did, but haven't heard back yet. I was told that my concern would be communicated to the community support but that PTF does not include assisted support (despite having an active Pro Tools support plan).
Old 05-23-2020, 04:59 PM

Looking back in this thread, I see it was in 2019.5 that this happened. Unfortunately I think you’re hosed on getting your session recovered from the cloud.

If the local cache is still intact, I suggest investigating Pro Tools Expert’s article of a few years ago on how to kludge the import of a PT1st session into paid for PT.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 05-23-2020, 05:21 PM

indeed, 2019.5 is the version I got despite downloading PTF just last month. (It was the version Avid sent in the download email).

The cache is still intact, and I tried the Pro Tools expert tip but unfortunately it seems that it doesn't work anymore. Trying to import the PTF session files in PT result in an error message. I'm pretty sure I saw a post on the duc where somebody from Avid helped somebody who had a similar issue and converted the PTF project into a PT session for them, but I can't find it anymore. Will keep searching.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:18 AM

so, support never got back to me and closed my case without notice :'(

guys what's the best way I could reach somebody at Avid who could help? there has to be a way..
Old 05-26-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
so, support never got back to me and closed my case without notice :'(

guys what's the best way I could reach somebody at Avid who could help? there has to be a way..

Unfortunately I don’t think so. This was logged as a fatal bug. The fix was rushed out in the next release. No one anywhere reported a successful recovery of a lost session.