Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Anyone use Waves GTR3?

I've been working with this, and I find the "manual" to be sadly lacking in specifics. I'm looking for a little help with getting MIDI to work with it- can anyone give me any advice?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Anyone use Waves GTR3?

It's not going to be in the manual because midi is handled by your DAW (which will be different for each DAW).

In protools, it's been a while since I've tried it, but but you need to create a midi track in Protools, and assign the midi output (up at the top of the track in the mixer view) to GTR (which will show up as a choice because it is midi controllable).

Once you do that, I believe you can right click on the various parameters in GTR (like amp knobs, etc.), then click on "midi learn", and move whatever controller you want to use to control that parameter.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Anyone use Waves GTR3?

Thanks, I knew about the learn function but hadn't worked with it yet.
But, I did solve my problem! And the learn function was key to me figuring it out. It turns out that the GTR3 does not see MIDI patch change info at all, that's why I could not get it to respond- it ONLY works with continuous controllers, or CC numbers. To control it in and with Pro Tools, you need to assign a blank controller to the patch change number and put that on a MIDI track assigned to GTR3 and THEN it'll work, but NOT with a patch change command.