Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Default midi sync with yamaha motif

im trying to figure out how to use the built in tempo delay effect in my yamaha motif within my pro tools session. basically, the default setting of the delay isnt the same tempo as my song. i tried looking for a tempo setting in the motif but to no avail. i contacted yamaha and they told me to set the motif to midi sync: midi and that everything else was done in pro tools.

what exactly do i need to adjust in PT?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Re: midi sync with yamaha motif

Quote:
im trying to figure out how to use the built in tempo delay effect in my yamaha motif within my pro tools session. basically, the default setting of the delay isnt the same tempo as my song. i tried looking for a tempo setting in the motif but to no avail. i contacted yamaha and they told me to set the motif to midi sync: midi and that everything else was done in pro tools.

what exactly do i need to adjust in PT?
On the Motif,make sure you've selected MIDI for your synch. In PT, make sure you've properly set up the motif in the MIDI Studio set-up. Then, to synch up, start the PT transporter (play button).

Everything should be in perfect synch. I do it all the time, including the delay effect you want to use. I just did it last night. Let me know if you still have problems and will try to figure out what's happening.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:47 AM

Hello Donald, wasn't sure how to email you thru here, but I need some help please...I read some of you post on this but still didn't understand and need some step by step please.
I have searched the data base the best I could and didn't find an answer ....I am using a Motif ES6 to seq my songs due to being more comfortable with edits and timing issues, however when I get the song done on the Motif, I want to transport that over to Pro Tools. I have the PT 7.4/ 003 connected via firewire, and what I would like to do is transfer the music created on the Motif seq into PT with separated tracks as it is in the Motif, to separated tracks in PT. I have tried this recording once track at a time into PT and I have lots of timing issues. Im not familiar with using PT as a seq due to not understanding how to use the quantization... So with all that being said

(1) Can anyone tell me if there is a way to transfer my music (all trks at onceand separated) to PT without using midi?

(2) If not, can anyone explain to me how to use PT as a sequencer and be able to fix my quantize issues?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 AM

1. you need to set your buffer rate to 256 or lower
2. go into preference under midi offset and change the buffer to whatever your playback buffer is
3. make sure you have midi enabled

and you should be fine
Pt 8, Reason 5, Recycle 2.1, Ableton Live Suite 8.02
Plugs >
All Registered plug in's & Vinyl out the wazoo. Mp3 sucks
Old 03-31-2009, 01:14 PM

I appreciate your help Sbag, but that’s not really helping me, I still need some step by step on how to sync via USB, I have installed the drivers and connected the 2 devices, and I don’t know what setting to set up in Pro Tools nor which setting to change in the Motif ES6 to get pro tools to tell the motif when to start and stop. I'm not recording MIDI, I have a sequence in the motif and I need to get to Pro Tool via Audio. Does that make sense?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 PM

Keytone, I gave you a link to an older post on this subject in your other post/question; have you read that link that I gave you?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Keytone, I gave you a link to an older post on this subject in your other post/question; have you read that link that I gave you?
I did read the link, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, I will do that in a few minutes, my confusion comes in on if its the same with recording the audio to Pro Tools. I don't want to record MIDI, and Im working on a project and didn't want to chance losing something. But I will try that in just a minute. Thanks again, Oh btw do you happen to know of a link that will explain using quantize in Pro Tools? Or do I need to buy another plugin to do that for my audio tracks. The only thing I get when I try to do any type of quantizing is beat detective or elastic audio (but it always tells me that I have no regions for that, and I don't know what that means)... whats your take on this issue as well. Thank bro
Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM

Are you looking to quantize AUDIO? Or MIDI?

If you need to quantize audio, then the only way to do it is with Beat Detective or Elastic Audio. That's just a fact of life/Pro Tools.

Quantizing MIDI is a different story, and is covered extensively in the Pro Tools Reference Guide (Chapter 39, Page 798 of the 8.0 guide)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytone View Post
The only thing I get when I try to do any type of quantizing is beat detective or elastic audio (but it always tells me that I have no regions for that, and I don't know what that means)... whats your take on this issue as well.
My "take" is that you aren't doing it right. You might want to read up on both Beat Detective and Elastic Audio.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Are you looking to quantize AUDIO? Or MIDI?

If you need to quantize audio, then the only way to do it is with Beat Detective or Elastic Audio. That's just a fact of life/Pro Tools.

Quantizing MIDI is a different story, and is covered extensively in the Pro Tools Reference Guide (Chapter 39, Page 798 of the 8.0 guide)

My "take" is that you aren't doing it right. You might want to read up on both Beat Detective and Elastic Audio.
Yea, when it didn't work I figured I wasn't doing it right...lol. I am tryin to quantize audio. Unfortunately I don't have a guide for 7.4, so can you explain to me how to use beat detective, or point me in the right direction, also do I have to buy the elastic audio plug in or should it have come with my purchase of the 003 factory bundle?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have a guide for 7.4
Ummmm... it's installed with the software and available from the help menu within the program.

It's also readily and freely available online at the Digidesign website (here's a LINK).

Quote:
so can you explain to me how to use beat detective
Not without spending hours typing, no.
Quote:
or point me in the right direction
There are LOTS of tutorials available for beat detective;

YouTube.com
Grooveboxmusic.com
SoundOnSound.com
AudioTutsPlus.com

Quote:
also do I have to buy the elastic audio plug in or should it have come with my purchase of the 003 factory bundle?
Ummm... it's part of the 7.4 software. It's built into Pro Tools.

I really, really recommend (and I mean no dis-respect here; I'm just trying to help) that you spend some time with the Reference Guide (the "Manual") as it should really be your first source of education about Pro Tools.