Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-22-2022, 01:11 PM

Default If you have a perpetual License

If you have a perpetual license and you are in the habit of making use of the 30 grace period window to get a little extra out of your support beware.
If anything happens that causes you to miss it even by a day AVID is gonna force you to pay the get current price.

Ironically enough they kept telling me I could just go to subscription.

Funny part is what caused it to happen was them changing the tier structure and it took me a couple days to find actual info on how the change really affected me.
Those few days was enough to put me past the cutoff.

After a couple of communications they still wouldn't accommodate me on something that simple which I felt was strange.
Been a customer since Pro Tool 5 and Digi/Avid has always been helpful, this was the first time I ever ran into something like this.

Guess it's a lesson to be learned about trusting a grace period.

At least I made myself feel a little better for now by cancelling my S1 order, guess I just keep using my Command 8 for now.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:20 PM

Default Re: If you have a perpetual License

Yes, one thing Avid excel at is alienating their customers.
I always seek out a competitor's hardware product now rather than buy Avid.
The recent subscription-only fiasco started the most confusing threads in DUC history, and has alienated a large proportion of their user-base.
Avid will not truly see the full backlash/results from this unfortunate decision until about a year from now, when I predict that their "Financial Analyst Teams" will be forced to backtrack - once they see a massive lack of renewals as the customer base jumps ship to competitive DAWs.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:33 AM

So you’re upset because there was no grace period for the grace period
Old 05-23-2022, 10:04 AM

Hey SKI - Sorry about your experience with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
If you have a perpetual license and you are in the habit of making use of the 30 grace period window to get a little extra out of your support...
...Guess it's a lesson to be learned about trusting a grace period...
The grace period allows you to renew up to 30 days past your expiration date, but renewing on day 30 doesn't add an extra month - your plan simply changes as if you renewed while your plan was active. So as an example, if your plan expired 4/30/22, and you renewed today (5/23 - within the grace period) your new expiration would be 4/30/23. Similar to renewal during the grace period not adding extra time, renewing early doesn't take away time - either one adds 1 year to the original expiration.
Quote:
...what caused it to happen was them changing the tier structure and it took me a couple days to find actual info on how the change really affected me.
Those few days was enough to put me past the cutoff.

After a couple of communications they still wouldn't accommodate me on something that simple which I felt was strange.
Been a customer since Pro Tool 5 and Digi/Avid has always been helpful, this was the first time I ever ran into something like this...
I'll review your case and see how we could have handled it better.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:07 AM

Can't find your account based on your DUC email... can you update that to match your my.avid.com account or reply with the case #? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
So you’re upset because there was no grace period for the grace period
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:16 AM

Sorry SKI had a bad experience but a 30 day Grace Period means 30 days not 31 or 38 days so maybe next time don’t wait until the last few days as you said to decide and try to get a week or less of support plan for your license as it is risky as you found out and not worth the hassle and time to deal with

Same with warranty on gear or whatever, if the warranty ( bad analogy I know ) has run out thats it and if Avid has set a 30 day period they can’t keep pushing that for everyone who misses that and I feel you and if this somehow is an Avid not contacting you in time and there are special circumstances here in your case I hope Jeffro ( Forum Admin and a GREAT GUY ) can do something so answer him asap and i will keep my fingers X’D and follow this so you hopefully get some kind of resolution on this matter and that it makes you on track and make music instead of dealing with this much longer

All The Best and PM me if there are any hiccups.
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-24-2022, 04:05 AM

30 day grace period is pretty generous. Maybe get a calendar?

Last edited by Led; 05-24-2022 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:47 AM

I think the biggest take-away here is, as Jeffro mentioned, that there is no benefit to waiting out the grace period trying to "gain a little extra out of your support", as the grace period in no way extends the support period. Renewing on the 29th day of the grace period is the same as renewing on the 1st day of the grace period, or renewing 3 months before your support plan ends: the extra year is always added to your original expiration date.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:05 AM

Might be worth buying a reinstatement plan and putting the code into a virtual drawer. Break glass when you really need to update for OS or feature reasons. These reinstatements come and go, there's no telling if they will one day vanish forever, but legally they'd have to honour whatever you already own.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM