Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2022, 03:20 PM

Default aux send default output

when you create an aux send, the default output of the aux send is always master, is there any way to configure the aux send output the same as the track you use the send by default?
Im tired of always changing the aux send output to match the tracks output
Old 10-15-2022, 04:33 PM

Default Re: aux send default output

Maybe its just me, but I can't understand what you are saying so let me drop some things to consider:

1-Aux sends don't default to anything. You must select where they go by choosing either an output or a bus(see first screen shot).

2-If you want to send to another track(example: send to an Aux track with a reverb plugin), you have a few ways to make this happen:
A-(the old-fashioned way), create a send feeding a bus>create the Aux track and set its input to the same bus>insert desired plugin.
B-with no Aux track created, add a send and select "new track...". This will add a new Aux track(or whatever track you want) and set the routing assignment.
C-with an Aux track already in the session, add a send and select "track" from the routing options and choose the track you want from the list(see second screen shot).

If none of this helps, try to explain it in a different way
Attached Images
File Type: png send assign.png (11.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Send2Track.png (86.6 KB, 0 views)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-15-2022, 04:51 PM

Default aux send default output

Pretty sure the OP meant Aux track as in the the buss, not the send.

You can set a default output path in the PT I/O setup, but it’s going to be global.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

You can set a default output path in the PT I/O setup, but it’s going to be global.

Hmmm, in that case, saving an AUX track as a track preset would allow it to be recalled with the desired output assignment

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-15-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Maybe its just me, but I can't understand what you are saying so let me drop some things to consider:

1-Aux sends don't default to anything. You must select where they go by choosing either an output or a bus(see first screen shot).

2-If you want to send to another track(example: send to an Aux track with a reverb plugin), you have a few ways to make this happen:
A-(the old-fashioned way), create a send feeding a bus>create the Aux track and set its input to the same bus>insert desired plugin.
B-with no Aux track created, add a send and select "new track...". This will add a new Aux track(or whatever track you want) and set the routing assignment.
C-with an Aux track already in the session, add a send and select "track" from the routing options and choose the track you want from the list(see second screen shot).

If none of this helps, try to explain it in a different way
i like to do it in the "B" way, selecting new track. But after the new track is created, the output of that track is Master by default. I often create tracks inside folder tracks, and i assign the outputs of the tracks to the input of the fader track. When i create a send in tracks inside the folder, i assign the output of the send to the input of the folder track also, that way i can have stems with fx. But because by default the sends always output to the master, i have to manually change the output. Would be very handy if aux sends output would be the same as track output, when you create a send in that track. I wonder if that option exists.

See here i have created an aux send as a new track and the output is Master, not the same output as the track which is "VOX+INSTR" :

So manually i change output to "VOX+INSTR", so the track and the fx send both output to the folder track with Input "VOX+INSTR", but i wish that could be done automatically, by default outputing to the same output as the track
Old 10-15-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

mmm yeah if its global would not work for me, AVID could implement another check box when you create the aux, with optional "aux output same as current track" next to the check box that says "create next to current track" would be great feature

Old 10-16-2022, 12:36 AM

Check out Soundflow - matching Aux return outputs to the track they are being sent to from are one of the many things I love it for. Huge timesaver. It was pretty straightforward to script too. There’s a great community of support to help you get started.

One thing to note is I don’t think there is a ‘built-in’ script for this, which means you’d probably need one of the paid tiers, not the free level that now comes with Pro Tools (although that tier didn’t exist when I first started using Soundflow during lockdown, so I could be wrong there).