Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Default PRO TOOLS 101 questions

Hello, I am about half way through the self-study of PT 101... just to let everyone know my PT level. ;-) (little above n00b)

One question I have is about recording philosophies behind the click track use in PT. I know that using a click track probably depends a lot on the kind of music you are creating.. but what if you have a lot of controlled tempo changes? (Istesso tempo?) What are the ideas about recording those changes with PT and retaining some of the tempo markers etc..

I would describe most of my recordings as more organic, but it would be nice to be able to quantify some of them with music theory.. such as in using keys and tempo. This all may be covered in later education with PT, but I thought I'd make the post for comments.

Thanks!
Donovan
Old 11-21-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS 101 questions

A Click track conforms to the session tempo. Programming tempo events like accel. and rall. are easily achieved with the Tempo Graphic Editor but flatten a performance IMO. Tempo mapping after the fact is a way around keeping a performance fresh and organic but requires more work. Fermatas, lunga pause keep their purpose.

filosofem
Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 PM

Sorry for the 6 month delay in my response! ;-)..

So, I'm back to learning/recording with ProTools again and I find myself still having general questions like the one posted above.

For example, I started a basic song/performance the other day with just laying down a piano track. I layed it down in Slip Mode, and didn't worry about key signature or tempo. However, since I'm not very good with the song yet, I can see advantages of going to Grid Mode and making patch recordings (recordings over the top of the existing track). (sorry, I don't know all the right terminology yet.. so please correct me there)

This now makes me wonder if I should have started in Grid Mode and performed the song to a click track originally.

I am really trying to learn ProTools as I also create my songs.. because I think it could be a huge benefit down the road.. but I keep finding myself drowning in the technical aspects. I'm hoping one day it will just click and there won't be that hinderance.

Anyway, I'd sure like to hear some general comments about grid vs. slip mode. In my PTLE 7.4 book it says that most recording is done in slip mode. How then are 'patch recordings' done?... meaning, how would I re-record just a portion of a song in slip mode? (sorry if that is a basic question!)

Thanks.
Donovan
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM

I'm thinking that by "patch recording" you mean overdubbing. For this you should use Grid mode to find just where you want to dop in your new audio file. Just select the region area to be overdubbed, the arrows should turn red when you arm the track, select your pre-roll of choice and record it.

When recording I'm usually in grid mode anyway.

My advice: read the manual. Cover to cover. Then read it again.

Using the click track has nothing to do with musical genres. Correct time is not genre specific.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 05-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euca Design Center View Post
This now makes me wonder if I should have started in Grid Mode and performed the song to a click track originally.
I'd highly recommend getting used to recording to a click. It makes things way easier as the project progresses. You can drop in a drum machine or sampled percussion track easily and accurately, get delays or arpeggio-style keyboard parts to play precisely in time automatically and remedy timing problems with many fewer headaches. Playing to a metronome can feel kind of awkward at first, and the performance may not match very well, but you can then quantize to as tight or loose a feel as you want (and even use input quantize to correct timing as you lay down the track). You've got the technology; might as well use it! Cheers

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 05-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerttom View Post
I'd highly recommend getting used to recording to a click. It makes things way easier as the project progresses. You can drop in a drum machine or sampled percussion track easily and accurately, get delays or arpeggio-style keyboard parts to play precisely in time automatically and remedy timing problems with many fewer headaches. Playing to a metronome can feel kind of awkward at first, and the performance may not match very well, but you can then quantize to as tight or loose a feel as you want (and even use input quantize to correct timing as you lay down the track). You've got the technology; might as well use it! Cheers
Yeah this is music 101. Playing to a click is essential in any recording situation.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3