Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Default Pro Tools Freezing during playback

So I am new to the forum, but have been using pro tools for about a year. i recently had to reformat my system, and reinstalled PT, but when i open a project, it loads fine but won't playback. I hit spacebar, and the entire thing freezes up and I have to restart PT, only to have it do the same exact thing. It also happens with new projects as well as old ones. I have tried adjusting the playback engine settings, but nothing happens. I reinstalled PT and all of my drivers are current, and I am only running basic plugins that come with PT 8 originally. I updated from the digi site and still nothing. I have literally read a hundred posts, and have yet to find anything that helps. PLEASE HELP ME!

Running Sony Vaio, 3GB ram, external hard drive, mbox 2 mini. everything worked three days ago, something i should have changed from the original setup?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Freezing during playback

I get this really weird bug where PT doesn't respond and most of the menu options are greyed out.. but if i restore the Edit window all of the sudden things work again (i noticed in 8.0.1 I had to click on the edit window too)

i use m-powered so maybe it's not related but next time you freeze up try and see if you can't switch to the edit window
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictalley523 View Post
So I am new to the forum, but have been using pro tools for about a year. i recently had to reformat my system, and reinstalled PT,
What was occurring to make you decide to reformat?

Quote:
but when i open a project, it loads fine but won't playback. I hit spacebar, and the entire thing freezes up and I have to restart PT, only to have it do the same exact thing. It also happens with new projects as well as old ones.
What is your Open-Ended Record Allocation set at in prefs?

Quote:
I have tried adjusting the playback engine settings,
Which settings did you change? Can you post a screen shot?

Quote:
everything worked three days ago, something i should have changed from the original setup?
The very first step in trouble shooting a previously working system is to ask, "What has changed?"

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
I get this really weird bug where PT doesn't respond and most of the menu options are greyed out.. but if i restore the Edit window all of the sudden things work again (i noticed in 8.0.1 I had to click on the edit window too)

i use m-powered so maybe it's not related but next time you freeze up try and see if you can't switch to the edit window
Do you have QuickTime installed?

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Do you have QuickTime installed?

Shane
I have something called "quicktime lite" installed.. is this a common problem?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I have something called "quicktime lite" installed.. is this a common problem?
Yes, sometimes. It's more related to prefs not being saved etc though. I know a few others using QT lite but not sure of their current status. I'd probably start the trouble shooting by throwing in the most recent version of QT.

Shane

Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 PM

thanks for the advice.. i had no idea where to even start. is quicktime required for pt? i'd rather just remove it completely if it's causing the problem
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictalley523 View Post
i recently had to reformat my system, and reinstalled PT, but when i open a project, it loads fine but won't playback. I hit spacebar, and the entire thing freezes up and I have to restart PT, only to have it do the same exact thing.
What operating system did you reinstall? Did it update to Internet Explorer 8? If so, uninstall it - IE8 is known to cause problems with Pro Tools. Did you go through the entire General Troubleshooting thread? Also, it's best to install Pro Tools right after you install drivers for a new OS - and test Pro Tools each time you run an update, install plugins, or additional software. That way if it starts acting up you will know what's causing the problem.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Is quicktime required for pt?
Technically yes - though PT will probably run without it. It is recommended though.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 AM

well unfortunately installing the full version of quicktime didn't make any difference compared to QT lite.. thanks for the advice anyways :)