Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Default MBox2 Problem With Lenovo Laptop And Dell PC? Am I Just Dumb?

I teach Pro-Tools and Music Business/Production to High School students. We just ordered 6 New MBox2s to replace some of the older MBoxs. The Dells ran them fine along with every Lenovo/IBM I'd bring in to demonstrate them on. However, with installing 7.4 w/an MBox2, on both the Dells and my older Lenovo laptop (circa 2006), while they all recognize the ORIGINAL MBox, it won't let me install the MBox2 drivers. It ACKNOWLEDGES that I attach it (Found New Hardware), but the DRIVERS WON'T INSTALL.

My NEWER Lenovo X200T Laptop was able to install the MBox2 with PTLE 8.0 (and in the past 7.4) with no issue. THAT Laptop communicates along with the SAME MBOX2 in question w/no problem. My home setup which I use w/my 003 ALSO recognizes and plays ball w/the MBox2.

Here are my problems:

1 - No matter which computer I connect the MBox2 (even the ones that play ball w/it), while it lets me CHECK the firmware, each FIRMWARE UPDATE fails.
2 - For the other computers which I'm trying to get it to work with (the ones that display FOUND NEW HARDWARE, but won't install the drivers), the MBox lights on, but the USB light does NOT come on. On the flip side, of course the USB light DOES light up on the computers which DO play ball with it.

Could this be a firmware issue? Any ideas?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 AM

Default Re: MBox2 Problem With Lenovo Laptop And Dell PC? Am I Just Dumb?

You should ignore any Windows prompts and when asked to install drivers put the new PT DVD install disk in the player. If you're no longer getting these options you may need to reinstall/repair, if that doesnt work you may need to uninstall and reinstall. But again ignore any Window prompts.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:06 PM

It wont even let me get to that point. When the installer prompts me to connect the Digi hardware and then press 'OK', I connect it, hear the AUDIO which indicates a USB device has been connected, and press OK. The installer then completely ignores installing the driver (so now CONTINUE ANYWAY dialogs), and rushes to RESTART TO COMPLETE INSTALLATION.

Any takers?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Are you re-installing PT? I've gone back and fourth between an 003, a micro and a mini between a laptop and a desktop with no problems or reinstalls.

I would try starting your current version of PT with the hardware unplugged. When Digi ask you to attach you interface, making sure the unit is turned on, just plug in the new Mbox2. Your computer should find the drivers on it's own, ignore any Windows prompts. If it doesn't find the new drivers, place the newest PT disk you have in the tray and see if it locates it.

Finally, are you sure your older ver of PT supports the newer Mbox2 ?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:32 AM

To clarify: I AM following ALL install instructions (not a newbie). I am using Pro-Tools 7.4 on the MBox2 because when I ordered it for my school, 7.4 came with the MBox2. It would be safe to assume the MBox2 should WORK with 7.4 because it CAME with 7.4

I will install 8.0 and see what happens. I would rather use the 7.4 disc however, as I am installing the software I ordered specifically for the school and NOT my own.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
I would try starting your current version of PT with the hardware unplugged. When Digi ask you to attach you interface, making sure the unit is turned on, just plug in the new Mbox2. Your computer should find the drivers on it's own, ignore any Windows prompts. If it doesn't find the new drivers, place the newest PT disk you have in the tray and see if it locates it.
In that case, give this another try, it's always worked for me.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Does anyone have any more information on this subject? Could this be because I FIRST INSTALLED 7.4 WITH THE MBOX AND WHEN I UNINSTALL PRO-TOOLS TO REINSTALL IT BUT THE NEXT TIME WITH THE MBOX2 THAT THE ORIGINAL MBOX1 INSTALLATION LEAVES OVER REMNANTS WHICH MAKES MBOX 2 INSTALLATION IMPOSSIBLE?

Does this require registry changes or something? I say this because its not like its one type of computer where this happens. It's the Dells and ONE Lenovo Laptop which up to this point has run EVERY VERSION of Pro-Tools with EVERY possible Digi Hardware.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core