Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Default Polish?

So just wondering if any one can help a newb out a bit.

So basically I have finished my first real project. So far I really like the sound, I am going to send it away to get mastered. So this is a bit of a tough quesiton perhaps. but is there anything I can do to polish them.

So far I have EQed some of the tracks, using stock pro tool EQs, it sounds good. I have added reverd where I want ect... basically I like the sound. So perhaps I am just over anylizing. Is there something I am missing, a majic plug in that will polish it up?

Basically, I am new, finished, what should I check before I send it away to be mastered. thanks.

really exited about the project and appreciate the help I have got here a long the way.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Polish?

Congrats on 2 things. First, for finishing your first project, AND for choosing to use a real mastering house. Actually, the mastering engineer SHOULD be the polish. Your job is to make a great mix with each part balanced well, EQ'd for the tones that are appropriate, sensible effects that compliment the music and no clicks, pops or glitches. Before you send the files to be mastered, you might want to bring each 2 mix into a fresh PT session and use the Audiosuite DC offset plugin to remove any DC offset before you burn the files to a data CD-R. Include very detailed notes regarding each song, including the title, time(within a few seconds) instructions on any song that requires a fadeout(unless you added them already, in which case, maybe just note "ending fades out starting at 3:47 or whatever). Include the order of the songs and note what sample rate and bit depth the files are at. You might even burn the files to 2 different brands of media(just in case one copy has more errors). I hope the master comes back and puts a big grin on your face.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM

Agree, the mastering facility is that final touch of polish :)
I would ask to be present at the mastering studio, when they start the mastering to give them some hints about what you want, you will also hear a difference in the sound when you're at the mastering facility, you might get some ideas of what you want emphesized etc.. work with the mastering engineer to get the best result. Or if its not an option, maybe give them a reference song or album, that closely resembles what you want out of the sound, within the sane borders of how possible it is to match the sound of course:) This way youre more certain to get a good master, and makes it easier to not get a surgically clean cold master.
Hopefully you get a end product thats not undermastered,or overmastered, and just that right sound for your production. Good luck :)
All in all, do'nt just deliver the product to a mastering facility and walk away, give them a clue about what you want.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM

cheers, thanks for the advice guys. that really helps.

Sadly I can't be at the mastering house as it is in LA and I am up in Canada. I have considred just flying down for the hell of it........

Any way, thanks again.