Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Delay Compensation - Delay Monitoring when REC

I was recording some tracks on a session that happened to have Delay compensation engaged. The session player (very experienced) said he was feeling a delay. I checked the path and there were very few plugins in the chain (nothing out of the oridinary from what I usually use). He was still convinced so I turned off Delay compensation and reopened the session. Delay gone. . . player happy. I would have thought delay compensation was not supposed to affect tracks in record. . . I will avoid it in the future, but thought it curious and worth a post.

HD 4 semi-Accel (Core, 2 x HD + 1 x Accel)
PT 7 cs6
OS X 10.4.3
Old 06-18-2006, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation - Delay Monitoring when REC

normally ADC bypasses when u enter record - however if u hit ctrl+alt+apple and then click on the reported delay u can actually record with ADC on....Dont fry me on the key command or where to click but I know it is possible - u might wanna refere 2 your manual
Old 06-18-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation - Delay Monitoring when REC

It depends on how you are monitoring. ADC will kick off of the channel you are recording, but not the bus or send you are monitoring. Case in point - Let's say your record channel main output is direct to your audio interface. You have an output bus as a send on that channel - HP Mix1. If you monitor that mix (and the bus is not a send anywhere else) - no delay. If you have an aux channel submix (Main Sub) that you want to hear as well, and add HP Mix1 as a send on that channel, then the HP Mix1 bus inherits the ADC from the Main Sub and you will get a monitoring latency on the record channel.

There are some cases where recording with ADC on makes sense. For those cases you have to make sure that your monitoring path isn't picking up delay from anywhere else. Get in there and read the manual. Test some things. ADC does some weird things under the hood until you firgure out what's going on.

Good luck.

Aubrey