Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Sync X & SYNC HD

Old 04-12-2021, 07:23 AM
Avid

Default Re: NEW Avid SYNC X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Can the built in video ref generator automatically switch to the video framerate of the video file in the Protools session or do we need to manually switch videoref framerates each time we switch from a 24/25fps session?

I know it has auto sensing incoming ref signals, but I don't see any auto switching ref generator according to timeline video or something like that.
Hello,

No, not yet. But, that's a good feature request. 👍🏼
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-12-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hello,

No, not yet. But, that's a good feature request. 👍🏼
That would be a GREAT feature! Lately, I've found myself having to switch between 5.1 in-the-box mixes at 23.98 and Atmos mixes at 24fps to an RMU. It takes quite a bit of effort. PT I/O changes, DADman outputs reconfigurations, on/off RMU connection in Peripherals, plus the frame rate switching....

1. Change the frame rate on the AJA video gen
2. Change the frame rate in the Renderer prefs
3. Change the frame rate on the RME TCO/MADI cards
4. Change the frame rate on Pro Tools Sync Setup to change Sync HD

In all, it's well over a dozen clicks just to get a session to load and play. I set up SoundFlow to take care of some of the output switching, so anything to automate even two steps of the frame rate dance, would be welcome.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 04-12-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hello,

You can change the pull up/down settings in the bottom right corner of the Session Setup window.

Regarding behavior with Logic, what was the Logic project sample rate? And what was the clock source and sample rate for Sync X? Was the CLOCK REF indicator on the front of Sync X solid green? If there was a sample rate mismatch between Logic and Sync X, then Sync X may have remained locked but Logic would play back at the wrong speed/pitch.

Hi,
I can’t find the pull-up/down settings in the bottom right corner. I’m on 20.3.0.170, Catalina and a 7.1 Mac Pro. The bottom right corner is blank.
In Logic, pulled up an old music vid at 48K if my previous session in Protools was matching at 48k the session plays back fine with green clock not on and 48k displayed on the sync x. However if the previous Protools session was in 44.1, 96, etc., Logic would clock to that previous setting. Not a big deal because we sync Protools to Logic in the real world anyway due to old templates and scoring needs with VEP.
One disturbing thing is with the serial cable attached to the first HDX card all 3 cards now operate in fan high speed mode. Everything was upgraded properly to my knowledge, but will check firmware and run digi test again.
Would also by nice to implement the software to run session time code on the sync x front panel if just doing audio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2021, 10:13 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Hi,
I can’t find the pull-up/down settings in the bottom right corner. I’m on 20.3.0.170, Catalina and a 7.1 Mac Pro. The bottom right corner is blank.
In Logic, pulled up an old music vid at 48K if my previous session in Protools was matching at 48k the session plays back fine with green clock not on and 48k displayed on the sync x. However if the previous Protools session was in 44.1, 96, etc., Logic would clock to that previous setting. Not a big deal because we sync Protools to Logic in the real world anyway due to old templates and scoring needs with VEP.
One disturbing thing is with the serial cable attached to the first HDX card all 3 cards now operate in fan high speed mode. Everything was upgraded properly to my knowledge, but will check firmware and run digi test again.
Would also by nice to implement the software to run session time code on the sync x front panel if just doing audio.

See attached screenshot for location of the pull settings. If you don't see those, please attach a screenshot of Session Setup window on your system.

FWIW, if you need to change HD interface clock settings when Pro Tools is quit, go to:
Mac HD/Applications/Avid/AvidAudioServer and launch Avid Audio Server. You won't have access to Sync X settings though.

Regarding running session time code on Sync X front panel, you can enable Gen LTC in the Pro Tools Edit window or Transport window. See attached from Sync X guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pull Settings.jpg (33.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Gen LTC.jpg (48.4 KB, 0 views)
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-12-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
See attached screenshot for location of the pull settings. If you don't see those, please attach a screenshot of Session Setup window on your system.

FWIW, if you need to change HD interface clock settings when Pro Tools is quit, go to:
Mac HD/Applications/Avid/AvidAudioServer and launch Avid Audio Server. You won't have access to Sync X settings though.

Regarding running session time code on Sync X front panel, you can enable Gen LTC in the Pro Tools Edit window or Transport window. See attached from Sync X guide.

Thank you, I believe the first time I updated firmware or drivers there was an issue. I reinstalled the drivers and the Sync X firmware after I reset the unit, ran digi test all good. The HDX cards don’t start on high fan, however after a while they kick in. This never happened before this new Sync X.
Time code runs fine with session now on the Sync X front panel.
It would be nice from the : Output sample rate window to have a drop down tab to select all sample rates from that window. I understand the bottom right however, didn’t see that before.
Any idea on how to keep those HDX fans at lower levels? Was that tested with the serial cable connections?
Thanks again, all the best.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thank you, I believe the first time I updated firmware or drivers there was an issue. I reinstalled the drivers and the Sync X firmware after I reset the unit, ran digi test all good. The HDX cards don’t start on high fan, however after a while they kick in. This never happened before this new Sync X.
Time code runs fine with session now on the Sync X front panel.
It would be nice from the : Output sample rate window to have a drop down tab to select all sample rates from that window. I understand the bottom right however, didn’t see that before.
Any idea on how to keep those HDX fans at lower levels? Was that tested with the serial cable connections?
Thanks again, all the best.

Ok, glad to hear the update went well.

HDX fans will typically turn on after a few minutes. I am surprised to hear that Sync X is influencing fan activity. Have you run 2021.3 for any length of time without Sync X connected to see if fans stay off?

Regarding Output Sample Rate field, this is just a read-only field which shows the sample rate being output by Sync X. Can you clarify what you mean by selecting all sample rates here?
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-13-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, glad to hear the update went well.

HDX fans will typically turn on after a few minutes. I am surprised to hear that Sync X is influencing fan activity. Have you run 2021.3 for any length of time without Sync X connected to see if fans stay off?

Regarding Output Sample Rate field, this is just a read-only field which shows the sample rate being output by Sync X. Can you clarify what you mean by selecting all sample rates here?

In the last update before 2021 with the Trinity clock clocking everything in the system, with the same OS Catalina, the HDX cards never turned on for hours. Quite as a mouse. Will try 2021.3 and test. Why would a newer update require fans to run at a higher level?
The Sync X is advertised as a master clock. Buttons on the unit front panel itself, perhaps the ones that are not functional yet. Or in the PT software windows as well should have access to 44.1, 48, 96, etc. immediately as a function of the unit.
I understand it will sync to what ever clock rate is in the session but to have access to quick sample rate change is a must, just as you can do on any master clock. Should not be hard to program into the software of the unit?
Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
In the last update before 2021 with the Trinity clock clocking everything in the system, with the same OS Catalina, the HDX cards never turned on for hours. Quite as a mouse. Will try 2021.3 and test. Why would a newer update require fans to run at a higher level?
The Sync X is advertised as a master clock. Buttons on the unit front panel itself, perhaps the ones that are not functional yet. Or in the PT software windows as well should have access to 44.1, 48, 96, etc. immediately as a function of the unit.
I understand it will sync to what ever clock rate is in the session but to have access to quick sample rate change is a must, just as you can do on any master clock. Should not be hard to program into the software of the unit?
Thanks again.

Yes, I agree it's odd that the fans are making noise when they did not before. Which previous version of Pro Tools were you running?

A couple of things to test with 2021.3 to see if HDX fan noise is different:
-No Sync X attached and Clock Master set to Internal on primary interface
-No Sync X attached and Clock Master set to Word Clock (from Trinity) on primary interface

Sync X doesn't currently operate as a standalone device. All clock settings are handled directly in the Session Setup window in Pro Tools. Implementing a standalone mode is actually a significant amount of work, which is why it's not currently available as the focus is on using it with Pro Tools. Can you expand on the workflows where you need to change the sample rate, etc on Sync X outside of Pro Tools?
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-13-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree it's odd that the fans are making noise when they did not before. Which previous version of Pro Tools were you running?

A couple of things to test with 2021.3 to see if HDX fan noise is different:
-No Sync X attached and Clock Master set to Internal on primary interface
-No Sync X attached and Clock Master set to Word Clock (from Trinity) on primary interface

Sync X doesn't currently operate as a standalone device. All clock settings are handled directly in the Session Setup window in Pro Tools. Implementing a standalone mode is actually a significant amount of work, which is why it's not currently available as the focus is on using it with Pro Tools. Can you expand on the workflows where you need to change the sample rate, etc on Sync X outside of Pro Tools?

You can’t use Sync X outside of Protools so another clock will need to be used if any song creation needs to be written in Logic or another sequencer. Specifically for creating without picture, just audio work. As far as recording live musicians all would be done in Protools, and scoring from Logic to Protools the Sync X will work properly for syncing the time lines.
Completely understand it is a Protools only device for post and it does exactly what is advertised.
Once you use any other clocks you would hope to have the same functions as those devices.
I believe it was PT 2019 version, I doubt the software would have a glitch to turn the fans on high with the HDX cards. I’ll check when working in Logic with the Trinity and no Sync X in 2021.3, to see about the HDX 3 fan noise.
All in all a good box, can’t blame anyone for wanting a little more.
Thank you again for your time.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Avid

Quote:
You can’t use Sync X outside of Protools so another clock will need to be used if any song creation needs to be written in Logic or another sequencer. Specifically for creating without picture, just audio work. As far as recording live musicians all would be done in Protools, and scoring from Logic to Protools the Sync X will work properly for syncing the time lines.
Completely understand it is a Protools only device for post and it does exactly what is advertised.
Once you use any other clocks you would hope to have the same functions as those devices.
I believe it was PT 2019 version, I doubt the software would have a glitch to turn the fans on high with the HDX cards. I’ll check when working in Logic with the Trinity and no Sync X in 2021.3, to see about the HDX 3 fan noise.
All in all a good box, can’t blame anyone for wanting a little more.
Thank you again for your time.
I totally get the request to be able to use Sync X outside of Pro Tools. Are you still using the Trinity as the master clock by chance? If so, one workaround would be to send word clock to both Sync X and the primary HD interface. When Pro Tools is quit, you can change the HD interface clock source in Avid Audio Server application to Word Clock. That way you're referencing the same clock source as when Pro Tools is launched. But, I realize that's not as nice as being able to use Sync X as clock master all around.

Any update on the HDX fan noise tests?
Berkeley, CA