Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 AM

Default Emergency HDX power cable

Win with an HDX card won't boot without a (live) power cable to the HDX card, even though that cable only powers the HDX fan.

I bought a used HDX card ... great price, but no cables. Sonnet Tech no longer (??) makes their PCIE to HDX cable, so Avid is the only source... but if you can't wait and you have a modular PS, esp. one with separate PCIE power ports, you can cut off the molex connector on the "card end" of a PCIE cable, strip two yellow (12v) and two black (ground) conductors, tin the leads, and push the leads (yellow, yellow, black, black, starting from the "chassis bracket" end and working to the "HDX fan end" of the card), and tape the leads in place in the card edge connector on the HDX card. Up and running. Now you can buy the mini-Molex 4-pin male and terminate the cable properly, or wait for the OEM part to arrive.

Last edited by maunaloa; 03-30-2015 at 12:52 PM.