Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 PM

Default Pro Tools Se files compatible/exportable to other versions of Pro Tools

I have Pro Tools SE 8.0.3. I've been working on a project and now I want to pass it off to a friend for him to continue mixing it. He has Pro Tools LE 7.4. Can Pro Tools SE files be read by Pro Tools LE? Or is there any way to consolidate audio files for export? I want him to be able to see my settings and edits and continue editing them himself, so I don't want to just send him .wav files of all the tracks, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Se files compatible/exportable to other versions of Pro Tools

I have done some research on this, but the manual for Pro Tools SE is very minimal and I haven't been able to find any documentation anywhere stating if files from Pro Tools SE are readable by any other version of Pro Tools. SE seems to be a bit of a toy version, with very limited capabilities and compatibilities. Some day I do plan on upgrading to the full Pro Tools 10 or whatever version is current, and I would like to know if all the projects I'm working on now will be lost, or if I can bring them over to any other version of Pro Tools. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. If they're not transferable, maybe there is some workaround?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Se files compatible/exportable to other versions of Pro Tools

help? Please?? If you're reading this post but not answering because I should have been able to find the answer elsewhere, please tell me! Any response would be appreciated, since this seems to be the only place to ask questions about Pro Tools Se.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

Page 2 of the Pro Tools SE User Guide:
Quote:
Session Compatibility
• Pro Tools SE session files can be opened by
Pro Tools HD, LE, and M-Powered.
• Pro Tools HD, LE, M-Powered, and
M-Powered Essential session files cannot be
opened by Pro Tools SE.
• Pro Tools SE session files cannot be opened by
M-Powered Essential.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, Bruce. Should we anticipate any issues opening an SE 8 file in LE 7?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM

LE 7 & 8 both used the same file format so there probably won't be a problem.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks. We'll give a go soon and report back on our success or lack thereof.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Hi there,
I have a similar problem than Helenvee mentioned.
I used to have a laptop running on Windows XP and used M-Powered Essential to do my music. Did not need anything fancy so never bothered buying the full upgrade.

My laptop died a few months ago and I have just bought a new one running on Windows 8. It seems that I am unable to use M-Powered Essential in Windows 8 as the systems are not compatible. It seems it's the same for Mac with the 10. something OS version.

Now, I would like to know my options. I am a bit upset as it looks I don't have any... I have dozens and dozens of hours of work put into my sessions, I hope I can find a way to save that so I don't have to redo everything in the new equipment I will end up using with Windows 8 or Mac (my gf's laptop). But if I am stuck, then I think I will just go for an old machine equipped with Windows XP so I don't lose my sessions. Someone said I could buy Pro Tools 11. First, it is expensive and I was not planning on such expense. But even then, would my M-Powered Essential sessions work in Pro Tools 11?

Thanks for your advice and opinion on this.

Cheers,
Ipsilon