Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Default Why is M-Powered crossgrade $100 more than LE?

M-Audio users are pretty well used to being treated as 2nd-class Pro Tools users, but up until now it hasn't cost us extra money!
M-Powered users paid more for their software to start off on account of having bought it standalone. It doesn't just come with the hardware when we buy it.
Other than that, it's the exact same software!
So perhaps someone from Avid can justify the fact that it costs $100 more for a MP user to crossgrade to PT9 than it does for an LE user?
We pay $100 extra for no extra features. It stinks, it's completely unjustified and Avid should change tack immediately. Change the price down to $249 and refund anyone who's already paid.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Why is M-Powered crossgrade $100 more than LE?

I can't believe people are still complaining after this upgrade...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperocket View Post
Seriously!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperocket View Post
Can you say why you don't think I have a valid complaint?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 PM

I see by the number of posts that you are not long at this group. If you had been here longer and knew the history , you would know the answer to your question. Trust me if you are getting in at this point of the game, you don't know how good you got it

lol
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b mcgibney View Post
I see by the number of posts that you are not long at this group. If you had been here longer and knew the history , you would know the answer to your question. Trust me if you are getting in at this point of the game, you don't know how good you got it

lol
Uh huh.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 PM

(in a crochety voice) m-powered? in my day, you only had an Audio Media card and you liked it!! you kids with your m-audio interfaces!! you don't know what sacrifice is!!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:

lol
hey old timer, you'd think maybe you'd have learned how to stay on topic after being around so long..

anyways, back on topic, you can get LE8 with an audio interface for $280, and MP8 is $300 without an interface, so it makes no sense that the MP upgrade price would be $100 more than the LE one.

it would be interesting to know if the upgrade to PT9 makes you uninstall PT8 like the upgrade to PT8 did.. cause from what I could tell the "upgrade" for PT8 didn't check that you owned PT7 before installing .. the only reason it was an "upgrade" was a cheaper price and it didn't come with an ilok. the point is: someone should find out if they can buy the LE crossgrade even if they are an MP owner cause i doubt the installer really will check

YMMV of course

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:

lol
Well, seeing as you're an old hand, maybe you'll be happy to let me know the answer to my question.

So far, all I've gotten is some guy who said I shouldn't complain, but didn't give a reason why, some guy who wrote 'seriously!!!' as though that helped, I've got your condescending reply and some guy who wrote "uh huh" as though that validated your useless reply.

I'm not getting in at this point in "the game", I've been using PT for years, but have never used the forums until today because I've never had to.

I get the sense that you think that because you've posted 400 times, you don't have to have a logical argument. Try harder or get out of "the game", as you call it.

So, thank you 'frantik' for actually bothering to read and think about what I said, it seems you agree with me.

On the issue of buying an LE upgrade to upgrade my MP license, I doubt that would work, I can imagine i'd run into issues attempting to update the iLok from MP using an LE license and also there's the small fact that if it doesn't work, I'm sitting around having paid $250 for a license I can't use which I'm not really willing to risk, although I appreciate the helpful suggestion.

Please, don't bother replying unless you plan to make constructive comments or tell me why you think I'm wrong in asserting that two identical upgrades should cost exactly the same.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjwah View Post
On the issue of buying an LE upgrade to upgrade my MP license, I doubt that would work, I can imagine i'd run into issues attempting to update the iLok from MP using an LE license and also there's the small fact that if it doesn't work, I'm sitting around having paid $250 for a license I can't use which I'm not really willing to risk, although I appreciate the helpful suggestion.
well i don't blame you for not wanting to take the risk, but I know from experience that the PT-MP8 "upgrade" did not require you to actually own a previous version of PT.

LE doesn't even require ilok, so i doubt there would be problems. Also, you're not "updating" your license, you'll be adding a new one for PT9

i'm guessing it would work, though i'm not going to spend my $$ to find out (plus PT9 needs Win7 and i'm still rocking XP lol)

the only reason i can guess for the difference is I think they are going to continue to sell PTMP8 for $300.. so if they sold PTMP8 for $300 and the PT9 crossgrade for $250 it would be cheaper than buying PT9 brand new

kinda lame for those who already bought MP.. i only picked MP when I bought PT because I already had an m-audio interface.. now that choice is gonna cost me $100 if i want to upgrade? makes no sense

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic