Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Default 192 Analog Input Input Problem, Very Frustrating

I'm running 2 192 Interfaces, w/ the first providing the master clock and the second running in slave mode.

I've been running into a problem where I can only see analog inputs on the first interface. When I go to the I/O setup, the second interface only has AES or ADAT inputs available from the pull down menus.

Sometimes, if I leave the interfaces off for a while, I'll get the analog inputs back. Also, I've tried trashing the preferences and then attempted to properly configure the I/O setup, but to no avail. Furthermore, the analog outputs for the second interface work properly.

Basically, is my second interface done for? If so, is there a cheaper solution than just having to replace it straight up, considering that downtime is not an option for me?

Thanks so much in advance for your time.

Mike
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Default Re: 192 Analog Input Input Problem, Very Frustrating

I would pull the interface out, open it up, remove the analog input card and work the multipin connectors off and on a few times. Treating the connections with a Caig product wouldn't hurt either.

Hopefully restoring reliability is as easy as that.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 AM

I'm also running 2 192I/O and have no audio input, I just bought a HD3 system with PT8.
The last onwer used a PC with XP pro and have no problem with the audio in, but when I changed to my G5 I have no audio in, the aes/ebu works just find and out is no problem. When I changed the computer to the PC and XP it works just find, but not on the G5.

Is there anyone who has an answer to this problem?
Just like lenkarm it`s very frustrating
Old 04-20-2010, 02:22 AM

As Top Jimmy said, the first step would be to whip the lid off and re-seat the ribbon cable that goes to the input card. Stick the lid back on, power the 192 up and check that the fan is running, and also check that the vents aren't blocked by anything that's in your flight case/rack/etc.

If that doesn't help, you can swap the analog input cards between the 192's the see if the fault stays with the 192 or follows the card.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 AM

But why does it work when I changed to the PC without doing anything?
On the PC everything works and not on the mac.
Just now I try to uppgrad to 8.0.1 and see if it works.
I get back when I have upgraded.
Thanks anyway.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchgarden View Post
But why does it work when I changed to the PC without doing anything?
On the PC everything works and not on the mac.
Just now I try to uppgrad to 8.0.1 and see if it works.
I get back when I have upgraded.
Thanks anyway.
This might be your Audio Setup preferences, which are correct on the Pc, but not correct on the Mac. you could build a new empty Pt session, and remake the IO Setup, and export it. See if you can then "see" the hardware properly.

Still, do test the analog input card on both boxes, and see if there is an issue with the converter card, or it is an issue with the 192 IO, or simply a dusty connection.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 PM

I dusted the input card off and reseated the ribbon cable and things are working for now. Thanks so much for the reply!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkarm View Post
I dusted the input card off and reseated the ribbon cable and things are working for now. Thanks so much for the reply!
might be a good time to dust out your computer too.