Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/ LE?

Have there ever been any albums tracked and mixed only in LE that might have been popular enough, or actual did sale on a major scale? Might be a silly question, but I was just curious as to if LE was capable of such a thing if someone had the right hardware. And for whatever reasons didn't use HD or TDM.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/ LE?

I don't know.

But I do know THIS:

A guy who recorded a CD in my studio just got a record deal because of it.

Chances are that no big major label CD was recorded with LE, but LE can certainly sound as good as some major label stuff I've heard.

Then again, Jagged Little Pill was recorded on Black Face ADATs, so maybe there IS some product out there recorded with LE
Old 09-11-2005, 06:41 AM

John Mayer tracked his first album on his 002 as I read somewhere. Then mixed it in the big studio.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 09-11-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
John Mayer tracked his first album on his 002 as I read somewhere. Then mixed it in the big studio.

Doc
Room For Squares was tracked + mixed on a Mix Plus rig in a living room in Easton, MD. Additional tracking was done at major studios in NYC . I believe there was a previous record before that one, before being signed to Aware/Columbia, but that would have been well before 002's had been released. Also, a number of the songs on RFS's were remixed by Puig out at Ocean Way.

SR-71's last record was 90% tracked and fully mixed on a 001. Additional tracking was done on a mix plus (drums + beat detect) but all else was on a 001 in their basement. The album sold well overseas and contained the song "1985" which was covered by Bowling for Soup and did extremely well in the US.

-s
Old 09-12-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Doc
Mayer didn't track his album on his 002. He uses it on the road (as many have mentioned before) to track ideas and sometimes record shows, but most of his album tracks are done on HD. There is one song floating around though that was recorded and mixed entirely in LE. The song is called "Tracing" and it's excellent. Not only is the song itself great, but the mix is fantastic as well. However, there are some parts that made it to the final mix of Heavier Things that were taken from their demos done on LE. Namely, the lead guitar line in "Bigger Than My Body" was done on the 002.

Interesting sidenote: Mayer's favorite reverb is D-Verb. His engineer and friend (avid PT user, can't for the life of me think of his name) uses D-Verb in Mayer's in-ear mix. Mayer loves the way it makes his voice sound.

Eless
Old 09-11-2005, 09:01 AM

The Black Eyed Peas said this: "Although they rely on several Pro Tools rigs in the studio, the Black Eyed Peas recorded several of the tracks for their latest record while touring. "I've got an Mbox, and it's the same thing for me as a regular Pro Tools rig when I'm on the road," says Will. "There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox." Digizine 2005 issue, and of course he also tracks everything through an Avalon 737 preamp, Crane Song Flamingo and ADI 3124 preamps.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/

Quote:
"There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox." Digizine 2005 issue, and of course he also tracks everything through an Avalon 737 preamp, Crane Song Flamingo and ADI 3124 preamps.
ARRANGED in PT LE with the Mbox being used as the dongle to open up the sessions on the computer MIXED on an SSL board. Big difference.

All carefully worded by the Digi marketing team.

I tracked, edited and arranged a whole rock album on the 001 with 2 Top Forty hits from it. But it was all mixed on an SSL board. Again, BIG difference.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-11-2005, 07:15 PM

You are oh so right Shan, I forgot to mention that, so couldn't I achieve that sound quality with an MBox and simply running all my gear through an XL Logic channel strip since the console is out of my price range?
Old 09-11-2005, 09:39 PM

Lots of confusion, the simple thing is you have to put the money on the front or the back.
Either you spend the money on your front end by improving your pre's converters, mics etc or you spend the money on the back by mixing at a larger facility and using the mixer and outboard gear to compensate for your tracking.

***DISCLAIMER***
If you improve your front end it will still be very dependent on your skill level.

If you do some research you may be surprised at how many artist are actually using 002/002r's, because they do collabo's with other artist and have a TDM system jointly that they mix on.
Not in a larger facility but in a joint facility.
Pick some artist, producers etc whose work you are attracted to and research them to find out how and where they worked on a particular project.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
"There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox." Digizine 2005 issue, and of course he also tracks everything through an Avalon 737 preamp, Crane Song Flamingo and ADI 3124 preamps.
ARRANGED in PT LE with the Mbox being used as the dongle to open up the sessions on the computer MIXED on an SSL board. Big difference.

All carefully worded by the Digi marketing team.

I tracked, edited and arranged a whole rock album on the 001 with 2 Top Forty hits from it. But it was all mixed on an SSL board. Again, BIG difference.

Shane
The Digizine quote is taken out of context. The full quote is (pasted directly from the article (my emphasis):

"Although they rely on several Pro Tools rigs in the studio, the Black Eyed Peas recorded several of the tracks for their latest record while touring . "I've got an Mbox, and it's the same thing for me as a regular Pro Tools rig when I'm on the road ," says Will. "There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox.""

It's clear that he just used the M-Box to track stuff on the bus, or whatever, and of course later mix it on a big ticket console.

I do also believe that Nelly's first major release was tracked on a 001 and mixed at Sound On Sound, IIRC.
Peace