How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2022, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Intro (free)

Hmmm…
So why doesn't Avid just let everyone with a paid PT license just have a Intro license put on their account? That would have been easy and tidy, but I guess easy and tidy is not what they're going for.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblentz View Post
I'd like to have Pro Tools Intro on a couple remote machines away from my main Pro Tools rigs, mostly just for noodling and "jotting down" sudden inspiration.
Would these instances interfere at all with my perpetual licenses (one of which is Pro Tools 10)? Would it be safer to create a separate account just for Intro?
Bump
Old 10-13-2022, 05:16 PM

[edited to get things right, sorry been busy/distracted]

You shouldn't need to, nothing here should be an account/licensing issue. Intro uses machine based licensing, so just license the machine. You need to find a version of Windows/way of installing that support Pro Tools 10 and Intro 2022.9 that lets you do a dual-install, I have no idea if that is still doable, but it's just the same question as installing Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools 2022.9 on the same computer... not actually sure if that's still doable or not, but the challenge there is nothing to do with licensing. Worse case you will need to set up systems to dual-boot.

Where are also likely to run into issues is if there are additional .aaxplugins installed on the system. Just having the intro machine license present means that Intro will barf on all those plugins not being licensed. And then if they all get moved to the Unused folder that may not be what other users want. This is a problem that was obvious with First and I hoped Avid would have thought through, maybe with a separate preferences list for plugins only active in Intro. It would not be hard to manage moving plugins out or back in with a shell script before running either version, but also might be another reason to just go to dual boot.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-13-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You shouldn't need to, nothing here should be an account/licensing issue. Intro uses machine based licensing, so just license the machine. You need to find a version of Windows/way of installing that support Pro Tools 10 and Intro 2022.9 that lets you do a dual-install, I have no idea if that is still doable, but it's just the same question as installing Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools 2022.9 on the same computer... not actually sure if that's still doable or not, but the challenge there is nothing to do with licensing. Worse case you will need to set up systems to dual-boot.

Where are also likely to run into issues is if there are additional .aaxplugins installed on the system. Just having the intro machine license present means that Intro will barf on all those plugins not being licensed. And then if they all get moved to the Unused folder that may not be what other users want. This is a problem that was obvious with First and I hoped Avid would have thought through, maybe with a separate preferences list for plugins only active in Intro. It would not be hard to manage moving plugins out or back in with a shell script before running either version, but also might be another reason to just go to dual boot.
Thank you so much Darryl. I would only want to put PT Intro on what you might call a "peripheral" system... one which I could still bang out some ideas on when I don't have access to my main rig. That machine is already set up as a Windows 7-PT10 / Windows 11-PT2022 Perpetual dual boot system, and I wouldn't be touching either of those installs at all.

So my main concern then would only be with any licensing implications... specifically not wanting to crap on my existing PT10, or PT2022 Perpetual licenses by adding PT Intro (which I'm still fuzzy on as to whether is considered perpetual or subscription) to my iLok/Pace account.

As for AAX plugins—noted. Many of the ones I have are not "iLok'ed" and allow activation on a second machine, so long as only one is in use at any given time. I'll be out of luck with the rest, but then again I wouldn't be planning on doing full mixes requiring them on PT-Intro anyways.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:55 AM

There should not be a licensing issue, I have PT Intro licensed to my Mac here, and separate iLok license for PT Studio etc.. And that Intro uses a machine license makes this easy to leave on the computer if the iLok(s) with main licenses are elsewhere being used.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:11 AM

Hi all, I'm sure the answer is staring me in the face, but I can't seem to see it.

Question. Can I install Pro Tools Intro on the same machine as Ultimate 22.10?

It would be handy to be able to demo it to musicians I work with, who up until now have used GarageBand, Ableton Live-Lite etc for home demos, before they book into my studio.

Cheers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 12-21-2022, 10:33 AM

Intro and Ultimate are the same install, it is just a matter of what license you hold on your iLok.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Intro and Ultimate are the same install, it is just a matter of what license you hold on your iLok.
I.e, when you launch PT, if it sees only the machine license which is for Intro, only Intro features will be available. If you have an iLok plugged in with an Artist, Studio, or Ultimate, it will have the features for that license active. There is only one PT installer.