Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2016, 12:24 AM

Default My thoughts on 12.6.1 for PC

Greetings. I just want to put my thumbs up for 12.6.1. Finally I can move off 12.4

I'm not sure what changed from 12.5, 12.5.1, 12.5.2, and 12.6 to reintroduce a lot of bugs but I had been sitting on 12.4 forever. Updated all my plugins and installed 12.6.1 and this thing is solid. Any of the issues I had disappeared (included the return of the dreaded -9173 bug).

There is a slight graphical glitch that occurs when moving midi around the workspace that causes the end of cut piece to show a different shade of blue but that's the least of my worries.

I was in frustration land like many others but give 12.6.1 a try if you are on PC. Nice to be on a current version... finally.

Good job Avid.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:40 AM

Default Re: My thoughts on 12.6.1 for PC

I'm still quite happy with 12.5 (PT 12.5HD that is). Sometimes minor errors when I move around too fast while editting but that's all. That's why I'm hesitating updating after all the troubles with earlier 12 versions.
But I'll follow your thread and see if you stay happy with 12.6.1
Maybe report again after a few weeks?

Windows 7 sp1 / HD Native PCI / Lynx Aurora / Pro Tools HD 10.3.10 and 12.5.1 / Nvidia gr. card.

https://www.teejay.nl

https://twitter.com/teejay_studio

https://www.facebook.com/teejaystudio/

https://ac.avid.com/artistcommunity/...74#Profile-TAB
Old 12-03-2016, 02:16 AM

Sure. I'll report back.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofEight View Post
Greetings. I just want to put my thumbs up for 12.6.1. Finally I can move off 12.4

I'm not sure what changed from 12.5, 12.5.1, 12.5.2, and 12.6 to reintroduce a lot of bugs but I had been sitting on 12.4 forever. Updated all my plugins and installed 12.6.1 and this thing is solid. Any of the issues I had disappeared (included the return of the dreaded -9173 bug).

There is a slight graphical glitch that occurs when moving midi around the workspace that causes the end of cut piece to show a different shade of blue but that's the least of my worries.

I was in frustration land like many others but give 12.6.1 a try if you are on PC. Nice to be on a current version... finally.

Good job Avid.

+1. Using Win 10 here. (X99 i75820, 64gb DDR4, SSD's for everything). Even on 12.4, I still had -9173's and the occasional overall distortion that goes away when you retouch the playback engine.

I've been using !2.6.1 heavily for a couple of days now without glitches. I had a -9173 the first time I opened a session, but after disabling core 0, everything seems to be running smoothly.

I'm cleaning up/comping/mixing sessions of 80-95 tracks @ buffer 512 with loads of VI's (a lot of them via Vienna Ensemble Pro) but also with NI Komplete, many instances of Kontakt etc. Tried unfreezing 10 instrument tracks which, prior to 12.6.1 would have been disastrous and almost impossible for me to work with. No prob.

Early days yet because I don't need MIDI at this stage, and have not tested MIDI recording. That said though, so far so smooth. About time, Avid!

Even though I'd renewed my subscription 2 months ago, I was on the brink of moving to Studio One out of sheer frustration! I'm actually checking the trial version out...and will still get it because it's absolutely great! I've been sticking with PT for so long simply because it's what I know well, and I didn't want additional learning curves. However, got to move with the times, probably using Studio One for its rock-solid MIDI and the ease with which one can be creative without the DAW battling you every inch of the way! I'm sure there'll still be a corner for PT in the new workflows I'm putting together.

Noticed something though; frozen tracks have their waveforms showing earlier on the grid than the MIDI notes they're superimposed on. Any one else experiencing this? Tried a buffer of 256, still the same. the tracks play back on time, though. The problem appears to be only with the display. Didn't have enough time to pursue this, but I'll do that later and repost.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:54 PM

I don't know about all that Studio One stuff. It's starting to become too mainstream amateur software like Fruity Loops back in the day.

And I have NO IDEA why everyone knocks Pro Tools for MIDI.
In my opinion, the workflow is incredible compared to the others.

Studio One, Sonar, and Cubase just don't have that easy feel about it.
They all sort of do MIDI the same and the interface is just horrid.

If AVID builds on 12.6.1 and keeps squashing more bugs and not reintroducing or creating others, 12.7 is going to be a VERY SOLID release.

So far, 12.6.1 is working fantastic. Just set up MICS and Eleven Rack and no issues here. It all works as expected. Don't know if their programmers got laid during the course of 12.6 to 12.6.1 but something definitely went RIGHT.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:15 PM

I am running into a hard crash issue with rendering more than one region of audio with izotope dialogue de-noise on my PC.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
I am running into a hard crash issue with rendering more than one region of audio with izotope dialogue de-noise on my PC.
Standard Audiosuite process, or via RX Connect?
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 12-05-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know about all that Studio One stuff. It's starting to become too mainstream amateur software like Fruity Loops back in the day.

And I have NO IDEA why everyone knocks Pro Tools for MIDI.
In my opinion, the workflow is incredible compared to the others.

Studio One, Sonar, and Cubase just don't have that easy feel about it.
They all sort of do MIDI the same and the interface is just horrid.

If AVID builds on 12.6.1 and keeps squashing more bugs and not reintroducing or creating others, 12.7 is going to be a VERY SOLID release.

So far, 12.6.1 is working fantastic. Just set up MICS and Eleven Rack and no issues here. It all works as expected. Don't know if their programmers got laid during the course of 12.6 to 12.6.1 but something definitely went RIGHT.
Hi PowerofEight,

I'm not kicking PT at all. When it gets to manipulating audio, it absolutely rules. But other workflows like song creation, arrangement, MIDI, production etc are clunky in PT. S1 is most definitely not amateur stuff. It's got the best parts of all major DAWs incorporated in the most intuitive manner...This is the future of the DAW. It does everything, and does it well. Check this out from seasoned/award winning pros, many of whom have left PT for S1:
http://www.presonus.com/products/Stu...tl-u66H1boGBWI
Old 12-05-2016, 06:17 AM

We'll agree to disagree on this one. The MIDI work flow is ridiculously horrible in S1. Not to mention chopping up bars and moving them around why do I need to swap tools to get that done? It's automatic tool switching in PT when editing MIDI.

It's definitely on its way to being a number 2 or 3 but will never overtake Pro Tools.

I think Cubase / Nuendo would be a number 2.

Of course, it's still better than Ableton. All these DAWS make you wonder if it's programmers and not audio users who make this software.

Then you have the whole VST vs AAX64 plug-in thing (for time I won't go into that).

Update: 12.6.1 is definitely the step in the right direction.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree on this one. The MIDI work flow is ridiculously horrible in S1. Not to mention chopping up bars and moving them around why do I need to swap tools to get that done? It's automatic tool switching in PT when editing MIDI.

It's definitely on its way to being a number 2 or 3 but will never overtake Pro Tools.

I think Cubase / Nuendo would be a number 2.

Of course, it's still better than Ableton. All these DAWS make you wonder if it's programmers and not audio users who make this software.

Then you have the whole VST vs AAX64 plug-in thing (for time I won't go into that).

Update: 12.6.1 is definitely the step in the right direction.

Version 3 has a smart tool that's more versatile than the one in PT. I've used PT for 15 years, and Cubase before that. I never liked MIDI in PT; it's no match for Cubase, but I still did all my work in PT because I didn't want to be shuttling back and forth.

Most producers I know do not program MIDI in PT. Many guys will do their song production in Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton etc and import into PT for vocals /additional recording and mix.

I'm still learning S1, and the workflows are amazing for producers. Fast. Not asking you to agree, but do watch the videos, in fairness.