Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 PM

Default OT - CD Burning Software suggestions...

Hey all,

So I haven't had the need to make my own CD masters for duplication for a LONG TIME now. I'm either sending audio files to mastering which takes care of the clients CD master requests, or Im just burning one-offs via Toast (a pretty old version at that), for clients to have while waiting for dupe to finish.

Lately tho, more and more clients are trying to save money and requesting a final, full album, CD Master from me, with some basic sonic mastering and technical mastering, i.e., conforming to specific digital standard.

I've been out of the loop on this for some time now and was wondering what you guys are using for this.

The requirements needed are the following:

• Burning to the spec that I used to call a Red-Book CD. Not sure if thats still the proper terminology, but you know what I mean. A CD-R that has the proper metadata (?) that can be sent to a duplication house and not incur any compatibility or formatting problems.

• The ability to set and postion track markers, esp without pauses. For example, Song 1 and Song 2 are actually 1 continuous audio file, but I want the Track Number to change to Track 2 at a point of my choosing. Also, adding 98 blank markers if I want, for that cheesy but fun bonus track 99 kind of thing. (I used to use Jam to do this, but I seem to have misplaced my copy of that app)

• Converting dual mono 24-bit masters to 16 bit stereo, dithered. (Yes, I would do this in Protools via Export, but I would still like the option to do it in the CD software as well)

• PPC/Tiger compatibility

• (If possible) - Embedding track names and album name for CD players that can read that- or is that just with MP3 CDs? And for GraceNotes I think its called? (Wow, I feel SO behind on this stuff!)

- Any other things Im forgetting that fellow older folks here remember from when it was included right in Pro Tools in the early days... damn, i forget the name now.. MasterDisc? Something like that. its been oh, about 10 years.

Once again, I know some of you are very quick to point out I can just Google this or search the DUC, but I always like to get the most current opinions- especially from other frequent DUC'ers. So I apologize in advance for taking up an extra thread space for a topic that may have been discussed last month

Thanks!
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 AM

Default Re: OT - CD Burning Software suggestions...

ah crap.. I just found a recent thread.. The ONE time the DUC search function works well, I posted before I searched. Eager beaver I guess. Still doesn't address a few questions I asked tho.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...rning+software

Update: Ok I did a bunch of searching. Lots of great apps out there, but mostly for PC ONLY! And WaveBurner from Apple I don't believe can be purchased separately. Looks like Im back to Toast and/or trying to find my Jam installer disc. I have a project that Im wrapping up very soon and I mostly need the ONE feature of setting track markers without gaps in the audio, and being able to do crossfades.

CD Architect from Sony looks AWESOME but its Windows only. Dang!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:56 AM

Have you tried Peak Pro? I think it can do all of that.

W
Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 AM

WaveBurner 1.6.1. Comes with Logic 9.
It actually works!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:18 AM

Logic is so cheap now, it's almost worth it just for Waveburner IMO. And while Waveburner can't be bought separately, it can be run separately. I did an install of Logic on a FW drive and then simply dragged WB onto my PT drive, unmounted the Logic drive, and it works perfectly without the risk of my Logic install messing with PT or filling my boot drive with unnecessary stuff.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 AM

I am one of those that picked up Logic solely for Waveburner Pro. I also have PeakPro, but find using Waveburner is so much faster and easier for generating my CD's. I keep a copy on both my studio MacPro and my MacBook that goes everywhere with me.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Peak Pro w/ DDP extension
Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 AM

You can get PMCD from SonicStudio with a DDP option for $600. These guys INVENTED CD mastering.

http://www.sonicstudio.com/products/pmcd/pmcd01.html
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM

Looks like Wave Burner is the best option since I was planning on getting Logic anyway.

I did read one thing about a bit-problem or bug? And some were unsure if 1.6 fixed it? Any word on that?

Thanks everyone for the input!
MT
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Everest View Post
Looks like Wave Burner is the best option since I was planning on getting Logic anyway.

I did read one thing about a bit-problem or bug? And some were unsure if 1.6 fixed it? Any word on that?

Thanks everyone for the input!
MT
Fixed in 1.6 - make sure you have the latest "ProKit" update and WB1.6.1