Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Default Consolidate Muted Midi Region = Deleted Midi Events

Like the subject says, when I consolidate a muted midi region, all events within the selection are deleted. Is this a bug?

PS, Why am I dealing with muted midi regions in the first place? Well how else am I supposed to export an individual midi track? Grrr.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Consolidate Muted Midi Region = Deleted Midi Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseandpepper View Post
Like the subject says, when I consolidate a muted midi region, all events within the selection are deleted. Is this a bug?

PS, Why am I dealing with muted midi regions in the first place? Well how else am I supposed to export an individual midi track? Grrr.
You should be able to just export the track.. right click on the MIDI track name, Export MIDI... Then there is an option to just export the track or the whole session, if I remember correctly (not at my Mac)
Old 11-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Funny, I remember doing just that and not getting the results I wanted. Now I am. I think you fixed it!

But still there's something fishy with the consolidating muted midi regions. Try it if you can and see if you get the same result. (empty region)

thx
Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Oh and flommer,

Do you know how to retain channel info when exporting? If I export only the drums the GM file doesn't know its a mapped drum track.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
By design.

Quote:
Reference Guide.

filosofem
Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM

As per filo, yes it does delete all the events in a muted region when consolidating.. Don't know why that is a good thing..

But it suggests that there must be an alternate workflow for what you are trying to accomplish, so explain that in better detail... Why are you muting regions? Just for exporting regions? In that case, I don't know why you would be consolidating first..

I did notice that if you consolidate with MIDI MUTE automation, the notes are retained.. Not the same though, huh..

From the manual:
Quote:
When exporting MIDI files from ProTools, de-
vice assignments for tracks are not retained
(though channel assignments are).
In playing around with this, it does work.. In ProTools I had a MIDI track assigned to an external synth on CH 10.. I exported the MIDI track and played it back in QuickTime and it played drums, so the CH must be retained..

When dragging the .mid back into PT, it is hard to tell what the channel assignment is, because you have to assign a device first anyway, then pick a CH (from the MIDI output dropdown menu)

Last edited by flommer; 11-11-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: changed exporting to consolidating in the first line
Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 PM

The same reason you consolidate audio, flommer.

filosofem
Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
The same reason you consolidate audio, flommer.

filosofem
The reasons for consolidating audio, as far as I know would be:

To simplify..

To create a single region that starts at 0 to ease importing into a new session or different DAW...

I can understand the first, as far as MIDI goes.. In this case, I guess yes, if you have a MIDI region muted it means you don't need it's notes..

The second, however, seems unnecessary because when exporting a MIDI track, it automatically starts at zero and "consolidates" to a single MIDI "region".. If you see what I mean.

Am I leaving something out?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:25 PM

For my purposes I am creating midis that line up EXACTLY with wav files. When I export midi files the midi file will begin from the first region. If my region begins 3 seconds in then the first 3 seconds of silence will not be retained in the export UNLESS I consolidate the region to include the 3 second silence.

As far as retaining channel info - I did the same thing with my drums and I got an organ sound. Are you saying that I should assign my midi drums track to a "Predefined" channel 10? A Digi port? My Keystation 61? I'm not really using sounds, this is purely visual editing so playback is not that important. However I could see myself wanting to monitor a melody with Mini Grand but assigning it to channel 7. How would this be accomplished?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
For my purposes I am creating midis that line up EXACTLY with wav files. When I export midi files the midi file will begin from the first region. If my region begins 3 seconds in then the first 3 seconds of silence will not be retained in the export UNLESS I consolidate the region to include the 3 second silence.
It is interesting that yours is behaving that way.. When I export a MIDI track, the resultant MIDI file includes all the silent space before any MIDI regions and ends at the last region.. I'm not aware of any settings that might cause this to be so.. Any selection in the edit window seems to have no effect. I can't seem to do anything to not include the silence... So who has the bug? Are you exporting from the File menu or by right clicking on the track? (made no difference for me..)

Quote:
As far as retaining channel info - I did the same thing with my drums and I got an organ sound. Are you saying that I should assign my midi drums track to a "Predefined" channel 10? A Digi port? My Keystation 61? I'm not really using sounds, this is purely visual editing so playback is not that important. However I could see myself wanting to monitor a melody with Mini Grand but assigning it to channel 7. How would this be accomplished?
Yes kind of I guess... I assigned a MIDI track to QSR>CH10. When I play that track back with QT, it does trigger the drums.. You could probably use "predefined"... It is a strange quirk that if you are actually triggering a VI that doesn't have CH 7 as an option... What does seem to work is:

Assign the output to prefefined port 2 > CH10 (or similar), then right-click and choose MiniGrand CH 1.

This assigns the MIDI output to 2 different destinations and it did retain CH 10 as the output when playing in QT. I'm not sure how this would go down with and INSt track.. And I'm guessing that you need to assign the CH10 output first...