Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-22-2004, 11:50 AM

Default $15,000 to spend, big life decision...please help!

People post about starting their studios all the time, my situation is a little different. Not to go way into detail, but I've given up on school to persue my band and producing. In return, I have usage of $15,000 to start the business. I've really been trying to research what I need and the best value for each item, and this is the list I've come up with. I just need to know, mainly about the focusrite pre's and avalon pre, if I've made a good decision on value or if there's something else out there that is better for the money. I'm tracking rock bands, so the # of pre's has to go up to say 13 or so for a full drum kit. I need to buy all of this in the next week or 2, so any help asap would be appreciated beyond belief!

Here's what I want I have: Digi 002r, Sansamp RBI, Line6 PODPro, Samson C control, Event ps6 monitors, Neumann KLM 184 pair, 3 Sennheiser MD421's, 3 SM57's, 1 AKG d112, AKG 451 pair. Crappy laptop, firewire HD and DVDr.

Here's what I want to upgrade with:

-Pair of AKG C414's (good overheads)
-Neumann u87 (what's better, a used u87 or new tlm127? I'm thinking u87)
-2 Focusrite 428 pre's, one with the ADC card as my main 8 channel A/D converter to lightpipe out.
-Avalon vt737 (I figure this along with u87 should be the best vocal chain possible)
-Universal Audio 2-610
-"Allenstien" daw, although I can't decide if it's worth getting 2 processors in exchange for something on this list. I have no experience with dual processors, so i figure it's best with one for now.
-Mackie HR824 Monitors
-Presonus Central Station + remote for talkback, etc.

Phew...ok I appreciate your time looking over this list...please let me know what you think. My band and I have a huge hookup at guitarcenter here, so everything is 5 to 10 over cost...although even that can't match ebay alot of the time. I mainly wanted to ebay the u87 and avalon pre, and get everything else new. As for AD conversion, the ADC card makes 4 of the focusrite pres plus any 4 (1 more focusrite, the UA 2-610 2 channels, and Avalon 737) go to the lightpipe out, and ive heard good things about the quality. as for the rest my channels for drums, Ill have to use the 4 002r pre's + my 3 leftover focusrite 428 pre's going through the 002r A/D.

I dont mean to give you all my studio life story, but this is really an important decision in my life...so what better place to ask? My older brother is in a pretty successful band and he produced our first demo with his HD rig. He seemed to agree with me on this list, but i need more opinions. Thank you!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: $15,000 to spend, big life decision...please h

I don't think you mentioned the rooms you are mixing and recording in. The first important things for me is to have a good monitoring chain and good acoustics in the listening environment. The best gear doesn't mean much if you can't hear it very well. I can't comment on the gear as I don't own any of those particular items. Anyway, I know you are ready to get the show on the road but slow down a minute so you don't rush your choices.

Take care,
Ken
Old 08-22-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: $15,000 to spend, big life decision...please help!

Nice laundry list, but you'll need to throw a Platinum or Diamond Bundle in there.
Sounds do-able for 15k, maybe with some leftover.

I have:
2 Neumann 103s
2 414 TLIIs
3 Senn 421s
1 RE20
1 D112
3 57s
2 NT5s
1 451
1 Baby Bottle
Digi 002 Consol
Sweetwater Rackmount PC
Waves Diamond Bundle
Auto Tune 4
Sound Replacer
UA 6176 (which I A/B'd with the Avalon, and chose hands down)
Pod XT Pro
Octopre
Behringer Headphone amp
Mogami and Monster mike cables
KRK V8s
Twin 18" Flat Panels
DVD-RW/CD-R Combo
6 sets of phones (3 AKG 240 Studio, 3 Sony 7506

That was about 15k. Most of the stuff I got new, aside from a couple of the mikes.

Sounds like an exciting time. I listened to some of your stuff. Very nice!
Good luck. Have fun!!!!!

Old 08-22-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think you mentioned the rooms you are mixing and recording in. The first important things for me is to have a good monitoring chain and good acoustics in the listening environment. The best gear doesn't mean much if you can't hear it very well. I can't comment on the gear as I don't own any of those particular items. Anyway, I know you are ready to get the show on the road but slow down a minute so you don't rush your choices.

Take care,
Ken
I agree completely. The best equipment in the world is not going to help you make a good recording if the room acoustics are substandard. Tell us about the space you will be recording in, and perhaps you can use some of your money for acoustic treatments.

Rob
Old 08-22-2004, 02:40 PM

Hey Andrew,

I would have to agree with Ken on this one that the listening and mic environment have a big to do with your sound there. As far as gear, you are doing well with your list, but one thing that I have heard from many mentors along the way so far is that you have to stick with basics and remember that sound quality of what is going into the gear is always what matters most. IMHO I would find someone that is good with acoustics of rooms if you haven't already such as someone at a local audio/video install place or something like that and ask them as much as possible about the setup and preperations of your room for audio. I know some studio owners that have dropped a lot of bank on getting people to specially design their rooms for them which can be a small countries entire fortune sometimes, but there are ways to get the job done right that a pro would be best able to advise.

If you have the hook up with GC, you might find an engineer that works there that might be able to help you out on this a little sometimes also. Most of the guys I have run across at GC know a fair share, mind you there are some that know less than others of course. Once you have your room 'prepped' so to speak your gear will sound like gold in there. Goodluck and Congrats on your new studio set up btw!

Charlie
www.charlienaebeck.com
Old 08-22-2004, 02:41 PM

Blue Baby Bottle, yeah man, great mic.

I have one.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:07 PM

My advice: Take the 15k and buy property. That way, when you have a gut and your rock and roll dreams have faded you'll have something of value.

Ha ha ha...

Seriously though, if you buy the propery you'll probably have enough equity in a year or two to take out a second and buy the gear.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:28 PM

Hi!
For monitors: COnsider Blue Sky System One. I would grab the 2.1, and add the BMC (they sell it seperately) to control the level (volume). No talkback on it tho...Could always add a COmmand8 to the package...

If you can afford it, grab two U87's (over the AKG's), they make great OH's as well, and can be a good "goto" mic for tons of things. Be aware, tho- there are many other great choices, and you might be able to "round out" that mic cabinet a little better if the cash you budget for mics is spent well. Couple nice ribbon mics for instance, great for so much, very 'true" sound. Kick, room, OH, guitars, bass, even vox. Just beware of "on axis" micing, as the SPL plus air movement can be a killer for them.

Oh yeah- U87 (or any mic) used- be VERY, VERY careful.

I would also take this into consideration: Grabbing at least 2 channels of ADC would be a serious benefit IMO. Adding 2 channels of superior DAC would be a great idea as well. I would consider Mytek, Benchmark, and Lavry in that budget. If you grab Lavry Blue, you can expand later with more channels as you get the $$$- it's modular. Personally, I would say go with Lavry Blue, 2 chan ADC, and a Benchmark 2 channel DAC. Sub a Mytek 2 channel ADC for taste if desired.

Amazing how fast $15k goes eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Considering the most important is the quality of the signal going into the computer, you have to have a good room. It's amazing how it "improves" (by not degrading it!) the recordings. IMO, acoustic isolation and treatment are the most important thing, then come the recording chain and the speakers.
For your plug-ins, you might consider the UAD (one or two, depending of your processing needs).
Old 08-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Quote:
My advice: Take the 15k and buy property. That way, when you have a gut and your rock and roll dreams have faded you'll have something of value.
Ha ha ha...
Seriously though, if you buy the propery you'll probably have enough equity in a year or two to take out a second and buy the gear.
Funny "Who" ,, . Exactly what kind of property are you referring to?? $15k for property ???? Maybe in Montana buddy,,, But where I live (San Francisco,CA.) you couldn't put a down payment on a bathroom out here for $25k !!!!! Seriously !!! And that would be a bathroom the size of a matchbox !!!!!

Now - allthatsleft , you got $15k to spend, and you have a 002 ?? So I guess track count is not important to you ?? Because I would go HD first things first. Then get whatever else I had money for that was left over. Then as the months went by, and you made some income from a more elaborate system as HD, then you could get the rest of the gear (and even better) that you planned to from the beginning. AND you will be in HD land !!!!! (nice property)