Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2022, 09:38 AM

Default So my ilok cloud seems to work simultaneously

Hey guys I was under the impression that you could use PT on up to 3 computers, but this was actually referring to PT First I guess which would of been perfect for my needs here but seems it’s now discontinued and not supporting M1.

I have a subscription to PT Studio. I have a client who barely knows how to hit record and I was going to install pro tools first for him. Instead I installed PT studio; under the impression you can run on 3 machines, but then I was expecting it to close one of us out, but instead I’d you have pro tools open , and one opens it it just says activate cloud session but it continues to work fine on the other machine. Is this a glitch or something? And how does one get a second license so works simultaneous I read another thread having issues with 2 licenses on same account.

Kinda sad pro tools first is gone because any subscription is complete overkill for my client right this second .
Old 07-26-2022, 11:14 AM

Default Re: So my ilok cloud seems to work simultaneously

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizment View Post
Kinda sad pro tools first is gone because any subscription is complete overkill for my client right this second .
Kinda Sad? The bug ridden, unstable, unreliable crippled software that would eat many users cloud projects? And was so crippled and unreliable in was never going to be an on-ramp to future Pro Tools users. Even if you managed to get it to ever work for some of your clients why would you risk exposing them to all the potential problems? And since many of those problems apply to Pro Tools cloud collaboration in general I sure would only be working with others using Pro Tools sessions (maybe copying session files over cloud storage).

If your clients cannot afford a $9.99/month Pro Tools Artist subscription you need to find them a different DAW.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:13 PM

What he said^^^ If your client can't spend $9.99/month, then have them get Cakewalk by Bandcamp(free) and teach them how to export audio files and zip them for upload to you via dropbox, wetransfer.com or any other file sharing service. I get files from several clients that don't work in Pro Tools, so its not that big of a deal if its thought thru. Here's a quick example:
Someone wants to send me files for a song to mix(and they don't use Pro Tools). I make sure they make all files the same length with the same starting time. I make sure they tell me a few things:
1-sample rate and bit depth used(I recommend 24 bit/48K if they ask)
2-tempo in BPM(if the recording was done to a click)
3-include their click track if it was done with a metronome(instead of the DAW click)
4-if they use any virtual instruments, either print/render to audio(preferred) or send the midi file with detailed info on the desired sound(with some clients, I take the printed VI's AND the midi file, in case I think I can improve on something).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2022, 02:49 PM

Ah I didn’t know first had such issues ! I never touched it. But yea 9.99 a month I actually didn’t really consider that . But why is my PT subscription currently working for us both in different locations?
Old 07-26-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizment View Post
Ah I didn’t know first had such issues ! I never touched it. But yea 9.99 a month I actually didn’t really consider that . But why is my PT subscription currently working for us both in different locations?
First was a huge mess, and all that evidence has been deleted when the First forums were removed from DUC... but that was probably the right move to help kill First off properly. But again, a warning, you can likely make Pro Tools Artist/Studio a mess as well if you try to use Cloud Collaboration Projects.

No idea what/why stuff is happening with your licensing, but one thing to check carefully is whether what you think is happening really is (you may have already, which is great, but we can't guess). You might be using different accounts without realizing it or different licenses, or your clients might be confused and really running First. You could confirm what exactly is starting up on remote computers (e.g. look at Pro Tools log file(s) and what *exactly* ILM shows on each computer). Folks might even have signed up for a one month trial.. inexperienced users start clicking on an "Activate" button and who knows what they do.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:46 PM

And unless I seem to harsh on Avid and First etc. I think what they have now done with Pro Tools Artist is just so much better and quite nice. Folks can learn to use Pro Tools in a version that supports third party plugins and VIs and has normal session compatibility (with some track number restrictions etc.). And for somebody like you (or what I'm assuming you do) working with folks new to DAWs etc. it's actually a much better place for your clients and for you. And for $9.99 per month.. and a months free trial for each student, ... and they can run in iLok cloud to avoid buying a physical iLok (although I still think a physical iLok is more reliable, the cloud licensing lets them get started) ... and the ability to suspend the subscription any month all is pretty good. I'd just set up sharing/collaboration with clients/students using session files not cloud projects. And if you need live collaboration look at options from Zoom video calls to others.