Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2022, 06:06 AM

Default PT 8 is ownership transfer still supported?

Hello, first post
Im a bit of a dinosaur and still use old powerPC Macs. I bought a Digi 003 and know someone with PT8 software that they have for sale. It seems 8,0 is the last version that will run on pre Intel macs.

Can ownership of PT8 be transferred and also how much does the transfer process cost?

To be clear there is no ilok involved.

The only reason Im really asking is that if I pay the person, I would like to have legitimate ownership. Even if it is old.

Thanks in advance, This is a great forum.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:00 PM

Default Re: PT 8 is ownership transfer still supported?

At this age, there's not much point as you won't get any support anyway. The 2 things you need are: the software, and the authorization code.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-13-2022, 04:38 PM

Your Pro Tools 8 reseller have an authorization code? (inside the front cover of the User Guide that came with the install media starts with "DIGI0800"). Pretty sure that will work with any 003, if not they are just selling you a used plastic disk.

If so just buy that and you are set. This stuff is so old I'm not sure transferring ownership gains you anything, and if you were to transfer ownership I expect Avid would want to do that for the 003 and the bundled software that it came with. The idea for this stuff was Pro Tools was never to be separated from the hardware it came with. If the 003 seller used that software to upgrade to a more recent version of Pro Tools and did not also want to transfer that I am not sure Avid will do a transfer. But again what you need is an authorization code.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBirkby View Post
Hello, first post
Im a bit of a dinosaur and still use old powerPC Macs. I bought a Digi 003 and know someone with PT8 software that they have for sale. It seems 8,0 is the last version that will run on pre Intel macs.

Can ownership of PT8 be transferred and also how much does the transfer process cost?

To be clear there is no ilok involved.

The only reason Im really asking is that if I pay the person, I would like to have legitimate ownership. Even if it is old.

Thanks in advance, This is a great forum.
Transfer isn't required for legitimate ownership. In general what makes a software transfor illigitimate is if the original owner retains the license and use and has just copied it to you.
As for a Digi 003, that is a defacto license for PT LE. It has been years since I used PTLE but I just installed the software and plugged in the device. THe issue would be upgrades which may require a code. Have you used the 003 before?
Or do you have any software with it? A lot of old software is available for download including M-Powered 8. so perhaps LE 8 is also available.

Also, do you have a reason to be stuck on PPC macs? Early Intel systems are practically free these days
Old 07-14-2022, 08:58 AM

http://secure.digidesign.com/service...rticleId=43353

Here you go, this is the link you need for the official download from Avid. I think you can just download it and use it. Let me know.

I see this also works with the original mbox, which I had years ago. I wouldn't mind finding one for my kids to use and put it on my old G4 Mac Mini
Old 07-14-2022, 10:35 AM

More details;
To use any LE version, you must have an authorization code that matches that version. Example, if you have Pro Tools 8 LE, then you need a code that begins with "DIGI08....." Note that all letters AFTER "DIGI..." are lower case, and there will be spaces that must also be included. The code will not be needed again UNLESS you re-install the software(so save it in more than one place).

All LE versions also MUST have a connected interface(003, 002, Mbox) or the software will not open.

The original Mbox(light blue, curved front) SHOULD work up to LE8.0.5(I have one available for cheap if anyone has a need).
Other Mboxes, 002 and 003 work on newer PT software, but while 002,003 still work on the latest, Mboxes may not.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-15-2022, 07:54 AM

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

Ok, so I guess I will not bother with transfer of ownership, its not really going to be worth the trouble.

To answer a question- Ive been holding onto my power pc Mac''s mainly as i have a lot of older gear that talks nicely with that era of mac- things like Opcode midi patchbays, Sounddiver software plus lots more. Its just a home studio so its more a case of using what (still) works. The intel macs are super cheap now so I should grab one...

I am running the 003 for audio playback with an old standalone mac driver at present, just to hear it.

Im guess then that really all I will be paying for then is the cds and the authorisation code. Its from a 003 package so at least I know that the PT version is correct. I will ask him if its linked as an upgrade to his current PT setup, hopefully not.

Thanks again for input and advice.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:36 AM

Hello, and thanks so much for all the replies, much appreciated.
Its a bit odd- I replied yesterday but it doesnt seem to have appeared on the thread.

So, at the risk of a repeat.

Im not going to worry with the transfer of ownership thing- as correctly pointed out there is no real value to be gained from it.

And the reason I use such old Macs is mainly because the hardware and software talks nicely to a lot of peripheral gear like old Opcode midi patchbays, Sounddiver etc etc which I cant bear to part with. My studio is a hobbyist home studio studio so I am sticking with with what still works nicely.

Thank you again for all the input!