Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 09:42 PM

Default noob question....midi keyboard?

im new to the forums and music production...is there anyway around needing a midi keyboard in order for PT to work?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Default Re: noob question....midi keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
im new to the forums and music production...is there anyway around needing a midi keyboard in order for PT to work?
Sure.. don't use them. Use your mouse instead. I use mouse/keyboard (the computer kind) for most things. It gets a tad tedious though.

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM

Sure. You can use the pencil tool to enter MIDI notes in Pro Tools.

Covered in chapter 29, page 578 of the Pro Tools Reference Guide. (installed as a PDF with the software)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM

can you tell me how? i downloaded it but when i try to run it it asking me to plug in a keyboard
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
can you tell me how? i downloaded it but when i try to run it it asking me to plug in a keyboard
Spk gave you the best answer that anyone could:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Covered in chapter 29, page 578 of the Pro Tools Reference Guide. (installed as a PDF with the software)
However,

What software are you using? PT version etc..., OS, etc..?

What program is asking you for a keyboard? To the best of my knowledge, PT doesn't ask. What program have you downloaded?

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 PM

i cant get pass the startup screen
Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Reading, and then answering, the quesions people are asking would go a long way in getting someone to help you.

1. What Software are you trying to start?
2. What version of PT are you using?
3. What interface do you have?
4. How long are you waiting at the startup screen? (if it is the first time you have used PT, you may have to wait a bit for it to read all of your plugs, etc. and set your databases, etc..)

The following was posted to someone else, but applies here as well:

I would suggest starting here: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193637
That will go a long way in answering your questions, or at least getting someone to help you with them.
Another excellent source of information is your ProTools Reference Guide. You can find it under help on the menu bar when you load PT. It has an excellent search feature and will answer more than 99% of all PT related questions.

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 PM

im trying PT 8 LE in vista 64 bit i know on their website it says vista 64 bit is not supported but i saw a couple saying that they have it running pretty good..what is a interface? if you dont mind me asking yea it was my first time starting up but when the little green progress bar gets about 50% it ask me to plugin midi keyboard then press ok
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
im trying PT 8 LE in vista 64 bit i know on their website it says vista 64 bit is not supported but i saw a couple saying that they have it running pretty good..what is a interface? if you dont mind me asking yea it was my first time starting up but when the little green progress bar gets about 50% it ask me to plugin midi keyboard then press ok
An interface would be like an MBox2 or a Digi003, etc...

As for Vista 64bit, I dunno. Maybe send a message to the folks that have it running. XP works a treat for me so I use it.

To make sure I understand correctly, when you try to start PTLE 8 you get a green progress bar that stops at 50% and asks you to install a midi keyboard?

To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly that aint much, thre shouldn't be any type of pogress bar when you start PT. Maybe when you install, but you only need to do that once. You are not trying to start PT by running the installer are you? When INSTALLING PT, it will go for a ways and then as you to plug in (or turn on), your interface. It continues after you do so.

You may wish to consider uninstalling all of your PT stuff and reinstall. Not much fun, but I really have no idea of what is happenng with your system. It may even be something specific to Vista 64bit installs.

Peace!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:26 PM

as for interfaces goes all i have is protools no plugins..ok let me try to explain this better...when i start it the PT comes up if your using it yourself you will see a little progress bar thats inside the splashscreen that loads up when its starting THATS what stop half way through and says turn on or plug in midi/imput device