Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Does anybody have PTLE7.0 playing nice with Sonar5

Hi

I thought I would post here as im not getting any joy on the cakewalk forum.

I have an Acer Aspire 1520 WLMi laptop running WinXP SP2 home edition that I use solely for music
production. This laptop has been running PTLE 7.0 (previously 6.9) with a Digi002R with no issues
for a number of months. I have recently purchased Sonar 5 producer edition and installed the latest
Sonar patch, but unfortunatly I am having serious problems with this software.

I am running through the first tutorial, when playing the midi file Sonar will run for a few
minutes then will go into a hard hang. There is a loud feedback type noise coming through the
montors. The computer is completely locked at this point giving me no option but to press the
power switch.

It may be worth pointing out that my windows install is optimised for Protools, with all
unnecessary services disabled. Could this be causing issues with Sonar?

Im wondering if anyone here has Sonar5 producer edition and PTLE7.0 installed and running
with no problems. The guys on the cakewalk forum recomend I re-install windows, something
I don't want to do because PT is running fine.

David
Old 12-31-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Does anybody have PTLE7.0 playing nice with So

Mine works fine here. I had an issue with the multi-processor optimization being on. WHen I turned it off, everything was great. I got the exact 'hang' you are talking about. Make sure you have all updated AMD drivers and chipset drivers. You might also turn off the SONAR 64 bit engine and see if that helps.

Apparently that model laptop may have some issues with audio. Here is a long thread that goes into it - http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=...er&f=4&t=17630

Not sure if it applies to you - but they seem to have gotten to a solution of some sort.

Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:52 AM

Hmm. The multi-processor option is greyed out on my version. I am running the latest
drivers according to Acer. I've tried it with and without 64 bit enabled and it doesn't seem to
make any difference (to the crash problem).

I was aware to the audio problem with my laptop and have done the workaround suggested in the
article (disable ACPI).

Thanks for your input though, it was useful.

David
Old 01-01-2006, 11:29 AM

Man - that is a bummer. I really enjoy the dual setup as PT allows me to do a few things that SONAR doesn't and vica versa. Mostly I use SONAR because it is a full fledged DAW as opposed to a cutdown version like PTLE. I don't have any other suggestions and recommend you try the SONAR forum again, but don't mention Pro Tools in your post as I'll bet your issue doesn't have anything to do with PT. They are the most helpful bunch over there in my experience.