Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2024, 12:20 AM

Default It's actually a crying shame re Windows

Why Avid did not put a Thunderbolt 3 port on the device so it could be fully compatible with Windows I will NEVER understand.

Finally the interface I have been waiting for since I first ever used Pro Tools, comes to life, and I still can't use one 3 years later.

So instead of 6499 AUD for a device that would give me the all in one I need, I have to spend 3x as much, yes, near 19 thousand dollars (AUD) to get ONE HDX card with thunderbolt chassis and one MTRX Studio.

Sigh.
Windows users punished again.

Furthermore, these could have been *easily* expandable with twin thunderbolt ports, like UAD.

Avid missed a golden opportunity with this one... and the ONLY thing I can think of is that they wanted it as a dead end sort of system so those needing more I/O would still have to spring for the uber expensive HDX.

Sure, a HDX card has 18 DSPs (I think)? vs 8 on Carbon, but that's not worth 12 thousand dollars more. Not to mention the sheer convenience of carbon.

Double sigh.

All I really need is a bit of comp and EQ here and there, and one reverb send, and I am sure the 8 DSP could do that.

But again, that golden opportunity they missed..

Thunderbolt 3 with daisy chaining, even if they limited it to two devices max, would be *something*... 48 analog ins, 16 DSP.. I just still can't believe they shot off their own foot to spite their face.

And don't think I am the only windows user who is ready to sell up current solutions to get the easy integration of Carbon, far from it.. Avid lost a lot of money in the process with their decision.

Do they really think, because someone can't have Carbon, they will spend 3x more to get a much clunkier solution? All it does is make us even more determined to be treated equally.

I am annoyed.

But also very disappointed.

I said my piece.