Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-08-2022, 07:08 AM

Default Smart tool/fade quirk

In the session I'm currently working in, one, and only one of the tracks doesn't seem to react as it should with the smart tool active. No matter where I place the mouse, the fade tool does not show up. Both of the other tools show up, but not the fade tool. All of the other tracks respond as expected.

None of the tracks are locked or frozen. On the problematic track I've tried a variety of track heights as well as attempting to add a fade via the edit menu (cmd-F) with no change in behavior.

I'm stumped and hoping someone here might have some insight into this.

Thanks in advance,
LC
Old 11-08-2022, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Smart tool/fade quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
In the session I'm currently working in, one, and only one of the tracks doesn't seem to react as it should with the smart tool active. No matter where I place the mouse, the fade tool does not show up. Both of the other tools show up, but not the fade tool. All of the other tracks respond as expected.

None of the tracks are locked or frozen. On the problematic track I've tried a variety of track heights as well as attempting to add a fade via the edit menu (cmd-F) with no change in behavior.

I'm stumped and hoping someone here might have some insight into this.

Thanks in advance,
LC
I’ve only had this happen when there’s another micro-region right at the end of the region that I think I’m editing. Like if I punched and left a few samples of the prior take on the timeline.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-08-2022, 09:57 AM

Is that happening on all the clips on that track?
Old 11-08-2022, 01:29 PM

Yeah, sounds like a micro region or existing fade. What do you see when you zoom in to sample level? Anything weird pop out you did not expect?
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-09-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
Is that happening on all the clips on that track?
There is only the one clip on this track..

Thanks,
LC
Old 11-09-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Yeah, sounds like a micro region or existing fade. What do you see when you zoom in to sample level? Anything weird pop out you did not expect?
Well...there you go...I must have done a cmd F top and tail fade at some point on this track..there is indeed a very small fade on both ends of this track making additional fades unavailable..

Great catch...thanks for your help..

LC