Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2022, 12:58 AM

Default Coffee Spill on Avid Dock

I have sadly spilt a little bit of coffee on my 8-month old Avid Dock. The damage seems limited but the left side Shift key no longer works. Is there anything I can do myself to attempt to fix it? Is it possible to disassemble the unit, inspect the damage and maybe clean or replace the contacts?

I have heard Deoxit might help - any experience with this? Would I need to dismantle the unit or spray around the outside of the button?

I'm so ashamed of myself for this accident!

Thanks for any advice,
Graeme

Last edited by graemetaylor; 11-08-2022 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Missed information.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Coffee Spill on Avid Dock

I would not willy-nilly start spraying chemicals, solvent and cleaners into the dock. It is an integrated unit. I would suggest you contact Avid and see if you can send it in for repair.

Deoxit is an anti-corrosion chemical spray and will almost certainly do nothing about coffee, cream, or sugar, and could even further damage the unit. Deoxit is only useful to clean corroded electrical metal contacts.
Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop PC, Intel Hexa-Core i7-10750H, Nvidia GTX 1650Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Enterprise (20H2), 1TB SSD external work drive, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Pro Tools 2022.9, Avid Control w/Apple iPad, Avid Dock Control Surface, Avid S1.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:38 PM

Thanks for your valued advice, Basslice.

Graeme
Old 11-08-2022, 06:10 PM
Avid

it may be still wet in the switch itself. Keep it in a warm room for a couple of days, it may come back to life.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
it may be still wet in the switch itself. Keep it in a warm room for a couple of days, it may come back to life.
Agreed. If it was black coffee, you may be fine. Milk, maybe. If you had a load of sweetener in it though, that stuff can dry and crystallize in the components. (I'm speaking of having seen that in other devices, not any Avid stuff)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-09-2022, 07:26 AM

Personally I'd want to flush with a *plastic-safe* electronics cleaner (not lubricant) asap (before it's all dried). De-Oxit is a cleaner and contact lubricant and is NOT recommended for this - you want something that doesn't leave behind any residue. Miller-Stephenson Contact-Renu or something similar. I haven't been inside a Dock so I don't know how involved it would be, but I'd wanna get at least the bottom off so the cleaner could drain properly.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6