Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 01:06 AM

Default Wanna do a mix?

In life I do pretty much everything off my own steam and dont ask for help too often. Try not to for better or worse but I'm really struggling with this track to the point where I'm thinking maybe I should let someone else have a look. Usually I persevere until I get a breakthrough but it seems the harder I try, the further out of reach a happy result is.

On the face of it, it shouldnt be that tricky. AC gtr, bass drums and a few loops... Im at the tail end of a big video job at work and the last few mixes Ive done have all been instrumental sample based things so maybe my head is in the wrong place. Excuses probably...

So I'm asking, does anyone want to have a crack at it or perhaps offer some advice?

Happy to negotiate terms. Return the favour somehow or otherwise.

https://soundcloud.com/saul-behan-dunne/the-unravelling/s-0Mwvf2pK2wg

SPL Crimson

Mac Catalina 10.15.5
Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Old 10-16-2020, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Wanna do a mix?

Sometimes I find that if I set a mix aside for a few weeks or a month and work on a couple of other projects and then come back to it, I'll be in a different frame of mind and can approach it fresh.

It's not a bad mix. I think it needs some work on the acoustic guitar and back ground sample levels and the drums need a push a bit more when they get going. Sometimes the samples are a bit overwhelming, but maybe that's also the vibe you're going for?

You doing this as a potential commercial release? Or just a personal project?

I'd take a crack at the mix if you are interested. I'm not doing much else right now, so it'd be nice to have a project to work on for a bit.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-16-2020, 03:22 PM

Thanks JC. Its not a commercial release as such. These days I pretty much just post on Soundcloud and share with friends etc. Its all about keeping the creative juices flowing I guess.

Youre right, I normally do the same, let some water flow under the bridge then revisit it but I feel really bogged down by this. I set a timeline to finish this project not for any other reason than to have a deadline so that I can move on to other stuff.

You asked about the vibe Im going for. I can link you to the other tracks in the project. It needs to sit with them I guess. The difference being that this track has acoustic guitar and drums so there is a point of difference. The samples should help it gel but no, they should not be over powering. Understated (but clear) if anything.

If you';d like to have a crack I can send you the stems. Itd be great to hear someone elses take on it tbh.

SPL Crimson

Mac Catalina 10.15.5
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Old 10-16-2020, 04:18 PM

Happy to take a swing at it if you want to put the stems in a Project then invite me - find me in Avid Link.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:14 PM

Thanks Jeffro

This is my first time using Avid Link so not too sure if its worked but Ive set up a project and added the stems. I can see them here in the project but I'm not sure whether they have uploaded.

I have sent you both a connection request so lets see what happens when you accept that. We can go from there.

SPL Crimson

Mac Catalina 10.15.5
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4