Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Favorite Plugins

I wanted to start this thread (might be others out there but nothing recent) in hopes to help newbies like myself and others interested in bettering their craft to offer up their favorite plug-ins and how they are used. What's your favorite kick drum plugin, what do you use for vocal reverb, what about toms, horns, etc.. From someone who has yet to purchase a single plugin, this will help out tremendously in my efforts to be selective and smart about what I buy and to get proven and road worthy advice from those of you that have "been there done that." Thanks guys!!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Favorite Plugins

I can list you mine no problem.
McDSP MC2000 is the number one tool, it can be either 2, 3 or 4 band multiband and I'm using them all over the place like many others do. CraneSong Phoenix gets used a lot. Some people having enough DSP will have them on everything. SPL Transient Designer is a must have for me on snare and toms too if I have the slots. I love Waves Ren Bass on kick and/or bass, not always, but often just a hint will give you "free set of extra subwoofers". I love TC MasterX for the kick and snare. All the reverbs that come with the board are great! McDSP ML4000 is a great tool on master fader, you can have 4 band multiband control + brickwall limiter in just one plugin, great for using with SC48. If slot number is not limited then MC2000 for multiband and Waves L3LL would be also a nice master fader tool set.
And Massey plugins are great and very affordable, check these out for sure. My personal favorite from his plugs is the De:Esser, his Mastering limiter is also nice, something like Waves L series.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM

Another fella here that will vouch for the McDSP MC2000, its my number one plugin. Amazing for vocals.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM

McDSP Compressor Bank. I use the CB4 with the Opto setting (LA2A). i love it on bass, vocals, and snare.

Im also a fan of the MC2000.

I 2nd the Massey plugins being great! And if you want to try them out the demos don't ever expire.. You just can't save settings or presets so you basically have to reset it for every show or if you like it enough pay for the full version. They have the best De-esser i've ever used.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Waves Audio Track for vocals.
Master X on the output buss
Sonnox Dynamics on Kick and Snare
Waves C4 on Keyboards and Acoustic Guitar
Waves Raxx on Guitar
Smack on Bass w/ haromics on...
Phoenix on about everyting
Waves L3 on Sub Master out.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM

DUY Valve on anything (Kick,Snr, Bass DI, Vocals)
DUY Tape on Mix bus
Phoenix on anything or everything including Mix
Waves PS22 on anything thats mono
Waves Ren comp on Vocals
Waves Ren Axx on Gtr's
TC VSS3 reverbs on anything
Bomb Factory 1176 on drum group
Waves C4 on Horns, Vocals
Waves L3 on record outs
Waves S1 on mix bus
Waves Hybrid Comp on anything
Waves Hybrid delay
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Anything Waves on anything...

Ren Vox on Vocals (3 fader 'magic box' that just works)
CLA Classic Compressors (hit 'em hard without them pooping out like the BF)
C4 on Vox (download Artist Presets for Dave Pensado. His Vocal preset is a great starting place. Little tweaks and it smooths out even the harshest of vocals)
H-Comp on Busses for some Parallel Compression
Ren Bass if you want a little more boom boom (throw it on piano during a piano ballad and get some fat bottom end (aka MaxxBass)

Haven't tried the McDSP stuff, but I know multiple people who swear by it.

Smack on Kick or Bass

ReVibe is great... Echo Farm...

Amp Farm does a decent job. We mic our guitarists amp, but we also pick off the send to the amp with an active di and take that to amp farm. Gives us a faux two amp setup... Little bit of variance. Fun to play with...
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 AM

A bunch of "MUST HAVE" Waves stuff...
H-Comp on anything (love the "mix" and "punch" knobs - very flexible)
H-Delay on anything (ridiculously flexible with cool varied delay tones)
V-Comp on e. guitar, organ, e. piano ( warning - "analog" can add a lot to your noise floor, be careful if you are using multiple instances of this, you may need to back the "analog" knob back to 25% to lower the noise floor)
SSL E-Channel for vocal (uses a lot of DSP though)

Waves Diamond bundle has all this stuff (except for the SSL) plus a bunch of great limiters, the Renaissance EQ is awesome, MaxxBass is great and the Renaissance Compressor is really nice too. Waves Live Bundle will save you a couple thousand, and just doesn't have the V-Comp or SSL. But I don't use the V-comp very much. It is REALLY nice on guitars though. Don't know what the V-Comp costs on its own, but it may be worth buying the "live bundle" and buying the V-Comp a la carte.

Some really nice stuff comes with the system too though.
Smack on kick, snare, bass (if I didn't have the waves stuff, or needed dsp efficiency)
Line6 Echo Farm - cool tones & UI
Revibe - no compromise at all here. LOVE this plug. My "go to" reverb
EQ III 7-band that is included works great and is very DSP efficient. Channel EQ isn't bad either.
Channel comp is very transparent. Thats actually, my only complaint, hard to get it to impart "good" character. But as a surgical tool, its fine. Just don't expect to hit it hard and sound happy. Smack, or the waves stuff will get you some needed character or "aesthetic" compression.

I don't have the McDSP multiband plugs, but I REALLY want them.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 PM

I'm still a fan of the dynamic EQ in the Serato Rane Dynamics plug. Outside of that, Phoenix remains an addiction. My go to compressors these days are the Waves CLA Classic Compressors. SPL Transient Designer is a cool tool to have around. I use the McDSP ML4000 for any multiband stuff these days. The Serato Rane EQ bundle also gets a lot of use with lav mics--sometimes it's just nice to have a 12 band parametric handy for dealing with feedback.

Dave
Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Softube are doing some very good plugs - FET compressor ( 1176 emulation with an All In and Parallel Inject ), Tube-Tech EQ ( Pultec emulation incredible for low end material ), Tonelux Tilt EQ Live - very cool for monitors where you have Wedge and InEar settings on 1 sample latency. Scovi was in the Venue seminar room at Plasa in London when they were presented and I've seen some good signs on his face.
The dynamic EQ from Serato is a brilliant tool, Inflator from Sonnox , Massey DeEsser, Focusrite Forte Suite, URS Channel Pro, Abbey Road limiter.