Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2003, 06:26 PM

Default New Mix farm or bigger computer? Mix + plug in power opinions please!

Someone pointed out that rather than buying another Mix farm - a fast G4 might be a better bet for me to run more plug ins on mixdown..

Presently I have an old Beige G3 and hardly EVER run RTAS..

I bet I could do a LOT more on a new G4!

Anyone figure out the stats?

What is THE best available RTAS friendly G4 OS9.2 configuration for the Mix + platform?

Thanks in advance!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-28-2003, 08:46 PM

Default Re: New Mix farm or bigger computer? Mix + plug in power opinions please!

Jules,
Hey, funny I stumbled on your question. I was just now logging into the DUC to post a "WTB: Mix Farm" listing in the Buy and Sell forum. Just last summer I upgraded my Mix+ system from a Beige G3 to a G4 / 933, about a week before they came out with the faster Macs (such is life). But I don't regret it. The 933 is fantastic. RTAS plugins galore, at least relative to the Beige G3. It's really expanded what I could do. But only on audio tracks. So ... now I find myself really needing more DSP, in order to do serious mixes without bouncing to disk. Even with very nice outboard, I still would love to have a couple of instances of Reverb One, and Pitch Blender, and Amp Farm, and have lots of Waves plugs, without worrying about it. And be able to put plugs on Aux tracks, without worrying about it. (And I don't even have the Sony plugs, as I know you do...)
I guess I'm not actually being that helpful, because my answer is that you need both -- a new Mac, and a new Mix Farm. But start with the Mac, because with a gig+ processor, you will be styling. It's the right way to start upgrading. (Besides, I'm continually pissed off by the chip restrictions and limitations of TDM card processing...)
But now, I'm off to shop for Mix Farms...
Old 03-01-2003, 12:24 AM

Default Re: New Mix farm or bigger computer? Mix + plug in power opinions please!

Go for a new G4, and try out the altiverb demo. I promise you'll be hooked...
Old 03-01-2003, 02:47 AM

Jules,
Why not PT|HD???, belive me I was running a Mix+ system, I upgraded to HD|2, now I hardly run RTAS plugs... you wont need to change your computer, and you will be able to use PT6 in the near future plus sample-accurate MIDI and much more.... think about it.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:26 AM

Jules,

I've wrestled with a similar choice - another mix farm? faster G4? PT HD? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I'm running a Mix + system on a G4 533, and definitely find RTAS useful. It's a lifesaver when I've max'd out my DSPs and need more EQs or comps. (Was on a beige G3 previously, and the G4 was a big improvement)

I usually end up with at least 8-10 Ren EQs and a couple of Channelstrips in RTAS mode at mix time. Comps chew up a lot more CPU horsepower, so I try and keep them TDM if possible. I've also used RTAS for Sansamp stuff where I haven't committed to a distortion sound yet, but can't spare a whole chip for the TDM version.

All in all I'd rather have the extra mix farm or preferably an HD system so I could use the DSP on auxes, master, etc. Unfortunately the gear budget is tight this year, so I'm in "use what you've got" mode, at least for a while.

PT Ultimate, i9-9900k, 64GB RAM, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra MB, Sapphire Radeon RX580, Windows 10 Pro, Fireface UFX
Old 03-01-2003, 04:54 AM

I would go for a new G4. The performance just in redraws is astounding.

I don't use RTAS that much but I would never go back to a G4.

If I go to a big studio and they don't have a g4 I'll just bring mine.

Using Beat Detective on a g4 is like going to the dentist.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2003, 07:01 AM

Jules,

I just purchased a new "Custom" 9 bootable dual 1.25 from Apple's custom shop. It's the old technology in a new computer housing that boots in 9. I also, purchased a 4th Mix farm card. I plan on having this system get me through at least another year or two before even thinking about going to OSX and PT6.

I passed up a a Apple refurbished 933 that might suit you if you decided to upgrade to the G4 and don't want the custom one. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php...ew&pid=1422446

I do recommend the dual 1.25 custom however. It'll give you even more RTAS power and should you decide to go OSX in 6 months, you'll be dual ready.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2003, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
Someone pointed out that rather than buying another Mix farm - a fast G4 might be a better bet for me to run more plug ins on mixdown..

Presently I have an old Beige G3 and hardly EVER run RTAS..

I bet I could do a LOT more on a new G4!

Anyone figure out the stats?

What is THE best available RTAS friendly G4 OS9.2 configuration for the Mix + platform?

Thanks in advance!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Jules,

I would wait on buying any new Mac at this time. The current Mac lineup is very weak, mainly due to the less than stellar 167mHz front side bus.

Based on the Mac rumor sites, I think it is a safe bet that Apple will be adopting IBM's new PowerPC 970 chip in the next PowerMac, which among other things will have between 1.8 and 2.5 gig of processing power and at least a 900mHz front side bus if the Power4 architecture is any indication. This would put the Mac back on par with PC performance for native apps such as RTAS, for the same money you will pay right now.

So either get the farm card or wait about 6 more months is my advice.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:29 AM

I recently upgraded from a beige G3 (originally 300 MHz, Zif upgraded to 468) to a Dual 1GHz MDD G4 (the OS9 bootable one)and the increase in RTAS power was huge. Probably about equivalent to a pair of Mix Farms. Some plugs only run TDM though (like Lexiverb for example) so there are still some limits that another Mix Farm would help with.

I also noticed a far greater amount of RTAS capability on PT6/OSX in relation to PT5/OS9. For example, over twice as many Waves Q4s could be instantiated.

In terms of bang for the...er...GBP...I think you can't beat a new G4. I would highly recommend either a dual 1GHz or dual 1.25 GHz version though. Many people have reported very slow performance under PT6/OSX with single processor G4s.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:46 AM

"Based on the Mac rumor sites, I think it is a safe bet that Apple will be adopting IBM's new PowerPC 970 chip in the next PowerMac, which among other things will have between 1.8 and 2.5 gig of processing power and at least a 900mHz front side bus if the Power4 architecture is any indication. This would put the Mac back on par with PC performance for native apps such as RTAS, for the same money you will pay right now."

Do you want to base your decision on rumors or facts! Also, you'd have to wait a half or year to find out.

Even if it were true, what are chances that it would be compatible with TDM, digi or anything you may require it for. Just a thought!