Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Unhappy How to use all Xpand Sounds!!

Hello, I'm new here and just upgraded to Pro Tools 8 a couple of days ago!

I have a question about the new Xpand2:

In the Manual "whats new at Pro Tools 8" you can read, that it's possible to use the old sounds of Xpand. But it isn't! (For sure it will be, but I didn't found out how to! )
When I open Xpand2 I can choose between using different Layers from Channel 1 - 4 (how it should be done) or using the Preset List above in Xpand2.

I recognized, that when I will select the Sounds normally within the Layers, I can't choose all the sounds I see in my Xpand Folder! I can only select the Sound I'd like to, when I pick it from the Preset List above, but that changes all the other Layers I'd already chosen!

And when I want to change the List of the Xpand Layers, I don't know where to find the right folder in my Mac, 'cause the only Folder I've found, where the different Xpand Sounds were, and of course the Sounds from Xpand 1, is just changing the Preset List, but not the Layers List!

Everything works fine, and I have no problem in using the Xpand2, but that I can't use all the sounds of this Plugin, makes me thinking "why not?"

I hope u can help me and understand my English, too!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Re: How to use all Xpand Sounds!!

All the sounds are there for me.
Select a "Preset" (not a layer). Take a look in the Soft Pad folder. All the NEW patches have a + before the patch name. All the old Xpand sounds have a number like 01, 02.

If you load a sound from the "layers" then the new sounds will have a + AFTER the name. The old Xpand sounds will just have a name.

You should be able to load your old Xpand presets and tweak the layers if need be.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 AM

I know that the new sounds are marked with an + and the old one are just marked with an number, but the Xpand2 has two different choices to choose a sound!

The first is, to pick up a sound through the different layers! So I can give every 4 layer a different sound! The list that opens underneath a layer is not containing every sound I can find in my Xpand Folder.

For example: The last sound in my Xpand2 Soft Pad folder is named "68 Basic Pulse Pad". It's the last sound from the old Xpand1 sounds. But I can't find it in the List!

Here a Pic for the Layer Choice -> http://www.imagenetz.de/f937d2c6c/Layer-Choice.jpg.html
(When I open this List, I can't find all the Sounds, I can find in my Xpand2 Folder on my Mac. Most notably the Layers list is just going until 027 Basics, while the Presets List is going until 29 Multitimbral and of course the old Xpand1 Folder)

Only when I select a sound from the Preset Button above in the Xpand2, I COULD select the right sound I want, but I can't choose the Layer I want to put in. It's always in Layer A, and it changes my whole selections I did before! Its like I choose the factory default again!!!!

Here a Pic for the Preset Choice -> http://www.imagenetz.de/f6ccc586f/Pr...hoice.jpg.html
(Here I can find every Sound I like to, but it changes the whole selection I'd done)
Old 12-27-2008, 08:57 AM

Xpand2 has 4 Parts (A, B, C or D).
An Xpand2 Preset may contain up to 4 PARTS.

This might get confusing but go with me on this:

Yes, there are more Presets than Parts. I look at "parts" as being the raw sound or sample. For instance there could be 1 Cello "Part" (actual sample). But you may see 2 Cello "Presets". WHY?

All they did was take that same Cello Part and maybe add a chorus effect and call it Cello Chorus and save it as a preset. Then take the same Cello part but add a Delay and call it Space Cello and save it as a preset. In the "preset" list you'd see 2 Cello presets but in the "parts" list you'd only see the 1 actual Cello part.

That's why you don't see as many "parts" as you see "presets".
That's also why if you choose a preset it will overwrite any parts you loaded. The better method would be to start with a preset then tweak the parts and SAVE it as a preset.

All keyboards use this method.

Last edited by carlone; 12-27-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Lightbulb Re: How to use all Xpand Sounds!!

Damn, I didn't remember it!

Now it works, if I choose a Preset, some of the Presets using more Layers! Now I can see which sound it is!

Thx a lot, this simple thing gave me some sleepless nights !!!