Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM
R4yptor R4yptor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GB
Posts: 17
Default Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Hello, first of all, I'm completely new to the world of music
production, and I have several questions regarding Pro Tools, and also seek advice and whatever (?).
(Also, I'm using version 12.)

I pruchased Pro Tools 12 as a cheaper alternative for FL Studio,
as the version of fl that I could afford didn't have the plugins I
wanted, such as a pitcher. Please do tell me if I did a mistake here.
I aim to create electro music, stuff like that, so I also bought
NI komplete because of Massive. Will Pro Tools be good for this?
Massive does work with it, but I'm wondering if it's suitable
for someone who wants to make music like Knife Party, Excision
or other artists like those.

Alright, more concerning questions now;
-The interface: I was able to make a new track and assign
plugins to it, but, where are the piano rolls? I'm completely
confused here, because the only thing I ever worked with was
a demo of FL Studio 12, which's interface seems more user
friendly (I know what where is...). I tried to look up videos
but the ones I'm comming across are not about what I'd
like to find out. Also, most of them were just people
using MIDI keyboards, is PT 12 even capable of making
everything virtualy only? I simply don't know how to
make sounds, drum patterns etc.
-Sound: seems like this is a common problem, though mine
probably varies here; there's no sound. And yes I did try the
setup>Playback engine, etc. way of fixing this. Did not help.
What I find odd is that nothing on my pc makes sounds
while Pro Tools is opened. Also, in some guides, I saw people
having "hardware" among the setup options, I don't have it
there. So what can I do?

That's probably everything I need answered at the moment, I really hope to get replies, ones
that will help me out, and I also do hope I did the right choice
buying Pro Tools. It was a big investition together with other things.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Ben Jenssen's Avatar
Ben Jenssen Ben Jenssen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oslo
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

I'm sorry, but I don't think you made the right decision purchasing PT.
PT is more of a multitrack recording/mixing thing than a electronica creation thing. PT is not what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2016, 02:02 PM
malnushi malnushi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 72
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Since Pro Tools 8, they have made midi easier to use. Yes Pro tools is for any kind of music. What Ben is saying is that it doesn't focus mainly on electronic music or even making music with midi together, but it does do the job and does it well. The reason why it doesn't do it as good as FL Studio or Ableton is cause they have certain types of features built in them that makes it easy to use midi. FL Studio has the chord tool which basically shows you the notes to use for a chord. Ableton just has a bunch of packs and built in arps and stuff. Btw, Pro tools is very good for mastering/ putting finishing touches on any form of music. Also there is a piano roll. Right click on a track and go to midi editor or press the arrow at the bottom that points up. If you get the right instrument plugins and effects, pro tools will do just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2016, 02:21 PM
R4yptor R4yptor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GB
Posts: 17
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnushi View Post
Since Pro Tools 8, they have made midi easier to use. Yes Pro tools is for any kind of music. What Ben is saying is that it doesn't focus mainly on electronic music or even making music with midi together, but it does do the job and does it well. The reason why it doesn't do it as good as FL Studio or Ableton is cause they have certain types of features built in them that makes it easy to use midi. FL Studio has the chord tool which basically shows you the notes to use for a chord. Ableton just has a bunch of packs and built in arps and stuff. Btw, Pro tools is very good for mastering/ putting finishing touches on any form of music. Also there is a piano roll. Right click on a track and go to midi editor or press the arrow at the bottom that points up. If you get the right instrument plugins and effects, pro tools will do just fine.
Thanks for both replies. :)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2016, 05:20 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,702
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't think you made the right decision purchasing PT.
PT is more of a multitrack recording/mixing thing than a electronica creation thing. PT is not what you're looking for.
Maybe Ableton would be better suited for what the op wants. What would also help is for the op to give us some system info so we could help with some of the issues he's having. Stuff like Windows or Mac, operating system, hardware in use, etc.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2016, 11:08 AM
R4yptor R4yptor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GB
Posts: 17
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Maybe Ableton would be better suited for what the op wants. What would also help is for the op to give us some system info so we could help with some of the issues he's having. Stuff like Windows or Mac, operating system, hardware in use, etc.
I thought Ableton was for live performing. And the sound issue is fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 13,553
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4yptor View Post
I thought Ableton was for live performing. And the sound issue is fixed.
Ableton is what basically every top selling DJ and EDM guys are using and they would NEVER EVER look at Pro Tools as thats not anywhere near Ableton in Midi and VI production.
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:43 PM
R4yptor R4yptor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GB
Posts: 17
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Ableton is what basically every top selling DJ and EDM guys are using and they would NEVER EVER look at Pro Tools as thats not anywhere near Ableton in Midi and VI production.
I see, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM
DonnieJ's Avatar
DonnieJ DonnieJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 28
Default Re: Total Newbie Here, and needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4yptor View Post
I see, thanks.
Good choice with getting Komplete. Check out FM8, it will be a good tool for your goals.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
total newbie zakhilla Getting Started 21 03-20-2017 11:50 AM
Anyone care to help a total newbie? T57Strat Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) 2 03-16-2007 10:26 AM
HELP! Total Newbie... :) GoofyDawg 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 6 01-11-2007 04:57 PM
Total and Utter Newbie! Help! matt_sefton 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 10-19-2005 10:43 AM
Total Newbie HELP, please point me the right way.. zeropointone General Discussion 8 06-29-2004 02:36 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com