Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Multiple interfaces

@bonestonne - Thanks for the update. This is of critical interest to me as I've got two 1010s (and no other interfaces...right now, anyway).

I'm sold on PT9 IF I can use both of the Delta's. Otherwise, I'll have to consider another interface option, etc.

Please keep us in the loop!

Thanks,
BJ
Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Chatted it up with M-Audio earlier. Currently the Delta cards drivers are under some serious (and much needed) updating. It might be a good couple months before anything even remotely close to a private beta comes out. Unfortunately, this is what happens when companies get eaten and employees are "let go."

Currently, if you want to use PT9 with two Delta 1010's, you have to do it in Windows XP 32 bit, and you have to use driver version 5057v3. You can probably get away with using Vista 32 bit, using the same driver (5057v3). Only that driver will allow it to work.

If you want to be using Windows 7, you are SOL with Pro Tools for now. Until DAE and ASIO get overhauled, two cards have been giving me quite some trouble. I get a different error than the chaps at M-Audio have been getting, but we've both reached a similar conclusion:

PT9 will work with one Delta card. Throw a second card into the mix, and the DAE driver will not initialize when Pro Tools 9 starts. They were able to replicate that issue without any tweaking. If you disable one of the cards, like I did with M-Powered (and it worked), you will not have the same luck. PT9 somehow still fails to initialize with a card disabled. I get Assertion errors from it.

It's under revision, that's honestly the most I know. There isn't going to be any sneaking around this, because the Windows 7 drivers had revisions to fix certain power on/off issues that the older drivers display.

I use Reaper and Adobe Audition with both Delta cards without a problem, and even in Linux I can use both cards in Ardour. I'm sure if I had a Mac G5, I could get them running in Logic and other apps as well.

I just picked up a ProFire 2626 to replace an older FW Solo, and I find the new interface to be excellent.

If you're looking for a more traditional style mixer based unit, Mackie's new FW mixers do look very promising, and are PT compatible (and also have custom drivers for M-Powered 8 users).

In terms of internal solutions, I haven't been looking very hard, I don't intend up upgrading my current setup for a while. If I do, it might be to either RME or MoTU. Not sure yet, the Deltas serve me well, provided I select my hardware carefully.

15" MacBook Pro 8,2|2.2GHz i7|16GB RAM|750GB drive
Mac OS 10.8.5 x64

Pro Tools 11 with M-Audio ProFire 2626 on both machines
Old 11-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Do you think hearing from another customer would help for motivation or prioritization? Happy to give M-Audio a call. Even better, if you wouldn't mind sending me a pm with a name of who you spoke with, I'd be happy to direct my inquiries to the same.

Thanks,
BJ
Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 PM

I do work directly with M-Audio, it's not so much a phone call as an instant message.

It's not that I'm ignoring the fact that you want to talk to them, but they're in a bad spot themselves, with driver development months behind what it should be.

If I get a chance to keep updating this thread, I will. I do work on this when I have time to personally as my Delta cards are my pride and joys.

Having successfully set up both cards under Ubuntu Linux to run Ardour, it's just a matter of time before either I find a workaround that's suitable, or M-Audio gets a driver out again, and believe me, I keep reminding them.

15" MacBook Pro 8,2|2.2GHz i7|16GB RAM|750GB drive
Mac OS 10.8.5 x64

Pro Tools 11 with M-Audio ProFire 2626 on both machines
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 AM

Hi, any news on Avid ever addressing this problem? I have 3 Deltas, still only able to run 8ch. Pretty anoyed at this point.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 & PT 9
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM

I guess no one knows anything yet...
I wish I could move to a 24 CH SSL Alpha-link but there's not enough $$$. A Motu setup will have to do then (24 i/0 + 2408MK3 + PCIe424 card)
Do you guys think this would be an smart upgrade from the Deltas? I need 24 ch.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM

I haven't been able to get MOTU devices to work concurrently as an aggregate device. Even a setup as simple as 2x MOTU 828mk3's are not functioning properly via firewire connection with updated MOTU firmware and PT9.1 And MOTU tech support is swamped, or mismanaged...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM

We heard from PreSonus that PT9 currently does not allow for aggregate devices and that they are currently working on a "patch"... we went with the MOTU 24i/o core to bypass this problem.

From my research you have a couple of options, but only options with a single FireWire or PCI interface...

Any PCI core system
Any device that runs ADAT to a core product with a single FW interface.

Other then that, you're kinda stuck with not being able to daisy chain FW until PT9 fixes the issue.