How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Stillwell Audio

Default Re: Multiple interfaces

I would bet that it depends on the hardware...ASIO on the PC is limited to a single driver being loaded at one time. That being said, some manufacturers' drivers support multiple interfaces under the control of a single driver. M-Audio, for example, allows multiple Delta series interfaces to be combined within a single instance of their driver. Same with most MOTU PCI or Firewire devices (but only WITHIN the series...multiple PCI devices, or multiple Firewire devices...but you can't mix them because they use two different drivers)

MOTU PCI/PCIe series is going to take you higher than PT9's supported IO count of 32, anyway...all the way up to 96 inputs on a single card. Same with RME...a single RayDAT card will give you as much IO as you can handle.

Long and short of it...you may be able to use multiple interfaces if they all use the same driver and the hardware vendor supports it, but you won't be able to use multiple mix-and-match interfaces unless you use something like ASIO4ALL, which is not going to be ideal...you won't have any form of clock sync between the interfaces unless it's externally via wordclock.

Scott
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalraven View Post
I had read the info for aggregate interfaces in Mac, but I'm a PC guy...

Anyone have any more info?

BJ
everything i have tried, pt will only load one interface. i have can run multiple converters into an interface and that works fine. i am running multiple units into an rme fireface and works fine. digi will only recognize one and gets the hw buffer info from that unit for latency. each device is viewable in the playback engine and can switch between the main interface mid session, but must restart the session. the other issue at the moment is that if you switch hw buffer mid session it will lock up the session and must actually restart pro tools to get it working again.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
everything i have tried, pt will only load one interface. i have can run multiple converters into an interface and that works fine. i am running multiple units into an rme fireface and works fine. digi will only recognize one and gets the hw buffer info from that unit for latency. each device is viewable in the playback engine and can switch between the main interface mid session, but must restart the session. the other issue at the moment is that if you switch hw buffer mid session it will lock up the session and must actually restart pro tools to get it working again.
interesting
Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalraven View Post
I had read the info for aggregate interfaces in Mac, but I'm a PC guy...

Anyone have any more info?

BJ
PT9 is supposed to work with ASIO. I ran a successful test with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 AM

@Scott - that was my understanding of ASIO (and the Delta interfaces in particular) as well. Wondering if anyone out there has tried it yet?

@guitardom - did you have your other converters tied to the computer as well (i.e. firewire, USB, PCI, etc.)? If they were just stand-alone converters hooked to the interface, what you're seeing makes sense...if they were also tied to the computer, then it doesn't look good for me.

Hope to hear from someone who's tried it...

BJ
Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Well, I can't fully confirm, but when I did installed PT9 yesterday, I could aggregate my ProFire Lightbridge (34ch detected) and the Mac Pro built-in audio ports...

With more than one audio interface, we maybe could aggregate them and finally have more I/O.

I'm seeking to use my Lynx Auroras (with the LT-USB) and aggregate them together for 32 I/O in 96kHz and 16 I/O in 192 kHz.

Phil
Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Good to hear. From what I've read the interfaces might have to support being "aggragated". Seems as though avid/digi interfaces might not support this. Anyone else try this yet?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 PM

As of yet, I get errors when trying to use say two Delta 1010 rack units with PT 9.

I have additional errors that I need to clear up first, may come down to downloading it again...I'm not looking forward to another 7gb download.

Once I get the software actually running where I can open a session, it may be possible to run the Delta 1010's over ASIO, but again, if PT 9 wont launch with both cards enabled, this might still be a no-go situation.

Until I can get the software running on my machine, I can't make any headway. M-Powered installed just fine, but 9 always gives me a weird error:

Quote:
Could not create a new document because Assertion in
"f:\code\ws.preston\alturaports\dfw\views\umenu.wi n 32.cpp", line 1142.
Uninstalled, reinstalled, exact same error. Asked people at M-Audio/Avid directly, no replies because it's the weekend though. One more day of trying before I throw in the towel and re-download this stuff.

15" MacBook Pro 8,2|2.2GHz i7|16GB RAM|750GB drive
Mac OS 10.8.5 x64

Pro Tools 11 with M-Audio ProFire 2626 on both machines
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Pro Tools has finally entered the world of non-proprietary audio interfaces. Pro Tools 9 introduces a handful of new features, but the biggest bombshell is that you no longer have to have a Pro Tools (or Digidesign or now Avid) interface. This is great news, but what about all of the baggage that comes with it?

Read the rest at Avid Pro Tools 9: An Old Player in a New Game
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM

You can get 4 motu 8 pres and daisy chain them for 32 inputs..
They're like $500.00 a piece